Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm about to buy my first projector and I have way too little knowledge to be able to do it on my own. XGA and celing mounting are my only demands really, so I guess I have quite a few projectors to choose from.

Now I heard of a projector that sounds very good, that's why I want your opinions on it. It's "ASK M3" and the specs can be found here http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...?part_id=1069. What can you say about it?

(It's also available as Proxima UltraLight X350)

[This message has been edited by iamthomas (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I know nothing about this specific projector. But I do recomend doing as much research as you can before you buy.

HDTV capable projector would be a good idea for the future and for resellability.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The specs as far as brightness, contrast, and resolution are good, but what I don't like about it is that it will not accept HDTV or 480p or even 480i. I think you can get a special module that adds an S-video and composite connection for 480i. This means you would have to get an HTPC if you want a high quality picture. This looks like it runs about $4k, so you could do better, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It's a good projector. And it does accept 1080i, 720P, 480P, and 480i. I have one hooked up to my HTPC and Panasonic HD sat receiver. HD is awesome on it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
O Yeah, the module with s-video and composite inputs comes with the projector.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tjena iamthomas,

What about one of the PLUS U3 models (810SF or 1100z), which the LT150 is a clone of. That way, you could tap into all that's written about it on this forum.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think the LT150 is a great buy. The thing I do not like about it is the fixed lens. If you try to mount the projector you really have to know where to put the projector. The X350 gives you a couple feet of leeway to zoom in and out. When mounting, you always try to install the mount on a wooden stud. This can be very vexing when not being able to do zoom in or out with a LT150. Plus, as far as I know, the LT150 does not have DVI inputs. This could cause a problem in the future when manufacturers catch up with the new standard for HD equipment.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I have one of the X350's here at my desk. the problem i see with it from a HT perspective is that it has limited colour sampling. It does not seem to be a true 8 bit.

If you put a ramping grey scale into it (white at one end, black at the other and a smooth transition across) and it is smooth on a computer or DVD player that it started on... it will have some very noticeable steps on the DLP image. That will really show up in the subtle blacks (shadows) and in the subtle whites (clouds) I have looked at it both analog in, and DVI in and the problems are still there.

I think you could do better.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Concerning the LT150 and it fixed lens. It's only 3.5 lbs, you don't need a joist for mounting. Drywall anchors that go thru the wall and expand on the other side will do. Personnally, I wouldn't worry about DVI. By the time this becomes an issue, you'll be able to get a lot more projector for less.

Jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the main reasons I'm interested in this projector is that I can get it as cheap as $2000. It looks like I'm picking it up on Thursday.

One thing I didn't say was that I'm not going to use any HTPC or HDTV with it, just a regular Pioneer dv-530.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.