AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use a $10 empty 10 gallon glass aquarium turned on its side (largest vertical side facing down towards table). Stick LT150 in it and project through aquarium's glass bottom. Make a wooden board for rear of hushbox allowing vents, fans, cable-entry, etc. Use aquarium thermometer with suction cups on glass to monitor temp. inside hushbox. This will allow IR remote to work and should be pretty good at sound and dust proofing. Plus it's cheap and readily available at Walmart :) What do you guys think? Will it work? I assume as long as I keep the temp. below 95 degrees Farenheit it should be safe. I don't know how the image will look when projected directly through aquarium glass bottom. I assume it'll be OK (not as good as optical glass but better than plexiglass). Aquarium can be strapped or held in place with L brackets blocking movements to table or shelf for security. This will keep out prying fingers from my kids too :) Just brainstorming at work.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
950 Posts
That, my good man, is VERY cleaver!!!!

One question, if I may?

Have you figured out a way to make it look......uhh, err, pretty??

For lack of a better term.

Thanks for an intriguing idea.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
My brainstorm at work was to use an old AT desktop case. Paint it all black. Replace the 5 1/4 drive stack that runs down the right side with good glass. Should have plenty of room and lots of venting options.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Huey,

One problem with this design is that glass won't attenuate the noise very well (it is very reflective, and won't absorb the sound). It may help if you mount some sound absorbing material on the wood side of the hushbox.

Another issue is that aquarium glass is not antireflective, and also likely has some distortions (it is not typically float glass).

However, it is so cheap and easy you may want to give it a try. I'm waiting for my Sunon fan and optical glass to arrive to finish my hushbox.

Ross.

[This message has been edited by Ross Cutler (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, aquarium glass is too relfective and cuts down the light level a bit. Sound deadning wise it's not bad: it cuts the noise level in 1/2 without venting fans and opened backside. It needs a fan though because the temp. goes above 100 degrees F after 15 minutes and then I aborted the experiment. It reflect a small image on back wall (distracting if you sit behind projector). It does not look that bad to me as it's a glass box with black trim. I'm wondering if a hushbox is worth it as you'll get noise from the venting fan. Hushbox may raise temp. to undersirable level and kick fan of LT150 into high gear. I guess back to the drawing board. I'll keep this aquarium for a hamster for my kids and use the floating thermometer for my pool.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glass cutter for hole for lens? Should eliminate reflections..Don't give up so soon Huey,you may have something here...also, maybe "exhaust pipes" affixed to the projector, routed directly to the fans at the rear of the box...one for fresh air intake, and one for exhaust out...would help temperature stay down and also give additional soundproofing..

just a couple of quick thoughts...

------------------

Patrick Simon

[This message has been edited by Blaney (edited 09-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Blaney (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right that cutting a hole will solve the reflection problem but if that's the case, it may be easier to work with wood, MDF, or other material. I was just thinking of a quick and easy hushbox. I also agree that adding fans should solve the heat problem, but it'll be easier to work with wood than glass. Plus glass has sharp edges after you cut a hole in it unless you grind it down. Again all this may be more trouble than just making a box or buying a box out of wood :). I've made subwoofers so building a box is not a big deal. I was just brainstorming at work and tested my idea as it was so cheap. Now I have a nice hamster for my kids :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.