AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have a house, and my wife has been nagging me about wanting to watch movies, but I told her I want to wait until I have a nice home theatre. After considering a lot of options, here is what I have come up with:

Receiver: NAD T785 http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/T785.asp

Speakers: Axiom Epic Grand Master 350 In-wall/On-wall Home Theater System. 5.1 setup.

I came to this based on the following- I heard an NAD 2-channel integrated amp once hooked up to some entry-level PSBs and thought it sounded awesome. Also, the NAD receiver I mentioned appears to have a modular video board, meaning I should be able to upgrade it for future technologies, which I thought would be nice. Finally, most reviews I see for NAD products indicate a good sound, while maybe being lighter on features and aethetics (which I could truly care less about).

The Axioms I have never heard, so I am going solely off of reviews, but they have a return policy. I originally was going to insist on towers, but I've gotten wife approval for floorstanders in the formal living room, so I will be putting together some kind of diabolical 2-channel setup in there (I've been reading up on building my own tube amps). The on-wall axioms will look nice, and should we end up with children running around in there, they are off the ground and out of the way.

In the end, what I want is simply natural sound. The last time I had a system that was remotely good sounding was an old Tandberg Receiver and some un-labeled big-ass 4-way boxes. Man, I miss that. I can't wait to have something nice again.

Anyhow, is this a reasonably setup, or am I missing the mark? The room is quite large- its a livingroom open to the kitchen. The overall volume of the room is ~3,800 cubic feet.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Don't really know much about that receiver, but it's likely ok. Axioms center channel horizontally oriented pieces are very poorly engineered with fundamental inherent design characteristics that cannot be overcome. Lateral spread of drivers covering the same frequencies, especially when those are mids and highs, is problematic. I'd never suggest to anyone to buy those.

I do like some of Axioms other work, but those centers, fundamentally flawed.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well, at $1800 refurbed, I'd hope that receiver is "ok."
It's probably like most companies' mid-high models, and NAD has a good rep.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
^^^^

True, if I was dropping 2k on a pre-pro, or receiver, I don't believe I'd go refurbished. However, I rarely purchased used, and I miss some great deals by being stubborn like that.

Good luck

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19546146

Well, at $1800 refurbed, I'd hope that receiver is "ok."
It's probably like most companies' mid-high models, and NAD has a good rep.

well, it's likely "ok", but a bit of searching around here might show that nad doesn't have quite the rep they once did... seems like the "modern avr" world has been a bit of a struggle for them...

there are likely many other better choices...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts