Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking through the 61.5 list on lyngsat, and I'm kinda confused:

What is the bandwidth of one transponder?

Tp 7 - HDTV Demo

Makes sense, it's on it's own transponder, full bandwidth.

But

tp 10 - Good Samaritan Network, Safety-Net, Florida Educational Channel, A Radio Channel, and HBO HDTV

tp 13 - Gem Shopping, IShopNetworks, SAH, Dish showroom promotions AND HDTV PPV?!!??

I'm confused as to why they're stuffed with other channels, yet

tp 38 - Showtime HDTV East

Hmm, the listing doesn't have Discovery Theater either....

Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks,

-Matt

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Basically each Transponder has about a useable 30Mbps give or take. Each HD channel takes 15-18. Thats why theres enough left over for a few SD channels which are alloted about 3 Mbps each.

I'm not sure the rhyme nor reason as to which ones use the extra capacity for SD channels and which ones have only the one HD channel on them.

I believe Discovery HD is on Tp 4. It of course uses the 8PSK modulation scheme unlike the rest of the HD channels. Thus not viewable with a 5000/mod combo. 8PSK is only available on the 6000 model receiver via an optional adapter. Any upcoming HD channels they add will presumably use 8PSK also which allows for more than 1 HD channel per Tp.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what the technical reasons for the current ATSC modulator for the 5000 not being able to convert the 8PSK encoding scheme? Is there anyway to 'hack' it in there?

Man, I wish I knew more about this stuff -- I sure make a sorry example for a computer engineer in his junior year. :(

-Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.