AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the calculator at infocus, my X1 should yield a maximum 16x9 image of 89.6 diag. at 12.4 ft. Thus, if I get a screen that is 45x80 (92 in Diag.), would that be too large for the projector? Or, can I somehow make the projector project a 92in image? Btw, 12.4 ft of distance is the absolute maximum distance in this room. Thank you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, you could use the digital zoom, unless you've already calculated using the max zoom amount. ProjectorCentral's calculator, when told X1 and 12.4 feet shows the diagonal range as 81 - 99 inches. -shrug-

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
From what I've read, the InFocus calculator is very accurate, but the ProjectorCentral one is not.

Digital zoom won't help, it doesn't increase the overall image size, it simply magnifies part of the image. And in any case it leaves a very large icon in the corner of the picture when it is active.. not something you'd want for everyday use.

If you are stuck on using that particular screen, perhaps you could add some black masking to the edges to make it slightly smaller?

If you have settled on getting an X1, before you buy your screen why not buy the X1 and live with it for awhile, even just using a sheet as your screen. You may find you need a bit more room at the back for cables, or that you prefer a slightly smaller image from your seating distance, etc.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technut,

You're absolutely right. I will definitely go with the sheet idea. Since the Infocus is a 4x3 projector, perhaps I should go with a 4x3 screen and mask the top and bottom for 16x9 material? I read the 16x9 vs 4x3 debate on projectorcentral.com and the editor recommended a 4x3 screen because a 16x9 image on a 4x3 screen would actually be larger than on a 16x9 screen, I think.... I do prefer the looks of a 16x9 screen, however. Does anyone know what the next size down on a 45x80 screen is? This would be in a 16x9 format. Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by technut Canada
If you have settled on getting an X1, before you buy your screen why not buy the X1 and live with it for awhile, even just using a sheet as your screen. You may find you need a bit more room at the back for cables, or that you prefer a slightly smaller image from your seating distance, etc.
I would second that. I am demoing the X1 and until you actually see it with your viewing distance you don't know what you will find comfortable. I am finding that with our viewing distance a smaller size than what I originally thought is probably going to be best.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
There's no problem ordering a custom size screen from Jason or Daniel. The price should be similar to the next larger standard size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.