AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly entering into the world of home "cinema" projection in 1080p. Although Epsons (EH-TW3200 and EH-TW6000) get

very good reviews as LCD I'm still more inclined towards buying DLP (deeper blacks and more natural colours). However I come from a country where it's virtually impossible to rent a HD DLP for a day so my question is, how afraid should I really be of the RBE? I heard somewhere that 3D projectors have less RBE cos wheels turn in different directions. Is this true? I that case I would consider giving a bit more (my budget is 1000eur +/- 100). I'm considering Benq W1060, Optoma HD131x and maybe even something like epson TW6000 ...

I have 4.32m throw distance and the hight of projection shouldn't be more than 140cm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by van3sa  /t/1461997/how-afraid-should-i-be-of-rbe#post_23049321


I'm slowly entering into the world of home "cinema" projection in 1080p. Although Epsons (EH-TW3200 and EH-TW6000) get

very good reviews as LCD I'm still more inclined towards buying DLP (deeper blacks and more natural colours). However I come from a country where it's virtually impossible to rent a HD DLP for a day so my question is, how afraid should I really be of the RBE? I heard somewhere that 3D projectors have less RBE cos wheels turn in different directions. Is this true? I that case I would consider giving a bit more (my budget is 1000eur +/- 100). I'm considering Benq W1060, Optoma HD131x and maybe even something like epson TW6000 ...

I have 4.32m throw distance and the hight of projection shouldn't be more than 140cm.

DLP projectors do not have deeper blacks. There is no affordable(under $3000US) DLP projector that can match the black level of the EH-TW9000 or even come close. As far as RBE goes that is really an individual situation and no one can accurately predict your response, You will have to seek out somewhere where you can see a DLP projector in operation and check for yourself. Most people are not bothered even by a slow color wheel...but no one can predict your response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
You'd need everyone who is going to watch it to be not bothered by rainbows, extremely not likely. I see rainbows, no DLP for me. Throws you out of the immersion while you're watching when you see it. It's jolting. The Epson 3020 is a great projector that comes with 2 3D glasses and extra ones can be gotten for $20- Samsung brand. The brightness and 50,000:1 contrast ratio are very pleasing to the eye, especially for 3D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
I'll echo the previous comments, and add that the Benq 1070 dlp, with a 6 segment speed color wheel was watchable for some people who were RBE sensitive, maybe only being seen during very bright scenes. A ND filter can be added sometimes, that reduces the brightness, and lessens the effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,323 Posts
Maybe I is because I have a old higher end projector that is not a light cannon, that is fully calibrated, with 6 segment 4x color wheel, or am lucky, but No one has EVER mentioned seeing rainbows.

Funny, we were watching an episode of Miami Vise last night and there was a close up of a bad guys face and his eyes were moving left to right very slightly and rather rapidly. I though to myself, "I bet he sees rainbows!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1461997/how-afraid-should-i-be-of-rbe#post_23051265


Maybe I is because I have a old higher end projector that is not a light cannon, that is fully calibrated, with 6 segment 4x color wheel, or am lucky, but No one has EVER mentioned seeing rainbows.

Funny, we were watching an episode of Miami Vise last night and there was a close up of a bad guys face and his eyes were moving left to right very slightly and rather rapidly. I though to myself, "I bet he sees rainbows!"

LOL, funny stuff man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq  /t/1461997/how-afraid-should-i-be-of-rbe/0_100#post_23051575


LOL, funny stuff man

Not being funny, I believe that is why some people see them, it is like blinking at the same speed as a strobe light..if you are in time with it, lights stay on, if you are out of time it is dark all the time.


Maybe another reason I have never seen them is my screen is small so no need to track objects with eye movement?


Quote from the below link
Most importantly, however, your own movement seems to trigger seeing RBE. For example, someone reported that they only saw it when munching on popcorn or other snacks. Basically head and eye movement can make it more visible to you. I can confirm that chewing increases my ability to see it, as does shaking my head, or even moving my eyes quickly from one side of the screen to the other. Remember though, you also need the right conditions - white across dark, or the other way around. You aren't going to see it on a bright scene of sunny fields, but watching a car chase on a wet night is going to have a very high probability.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/HomeTheaterProjector-FAQs/ProjectorsRainbowEffect.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I experience RBE, but its mild. When I first bought my projector (Viewsonic PRO 8200) I saw it quite frequently, but now that I've had it awhile, I rarely see it. I think you do get used to it a little, and from what I've read the Viewsonic is decent for having the RBE effect. Just my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,106 Posts
You see fewer as time passes because the lamp gets dimmer, our eyes do not really get used to it. I would only worry about RBE if someone buys a projector with a color wheel slower than 6x and/or is going to watch the image way too bright. As noted, get an ND filter if the image is over 20 fL, a lot of people will see RBE (even those not very sensitive) if the image is way too bright.


Someone said 6-segment, but they meant 6-speed. A color wheel has segments and a speed, most color wheels are 6-segments / 4x speed in the budget segment (Viewsonic Pro8200 is 7 segments which reduces RBE more than a traditional 4x wheel). However, the newer budget projectors like the Benq w1070 are 6-speed and 6-segment (which is as good as it gets under $5k for low RBE), and it is unlikely to see RBE unless you are watching the image overly bright. Some really high-end DLP's are 3-chip and have ZERO RBE ($15,000+), or some of the middle-high DLP's like some Runcos have 7 segments with 6 speed, which is slightly better than the 6-segment/6-speed. More speed, good ---- More segments, good ---- More speed and more segments = best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill  /t/1461997/how-afraid-should-i-be-of-rbe#post_23049698


You'd need everyone who is going to watch it to be not bothered by rainbows, extremely not likely. I see rainbows, no DLP for me. Throws you out of the immersion while you're watching when you see it. It's jolting. The Epson 3020 is a great projector that comes with 2 3D glasses and extra ones can be gotten for $20- Samsung brand. The brightness and 50,000:1 contrast ratio are very pleasing to the eye, especially for 3D.

I agree RBE is awful, I can still see it on any DLP. I'ts just there in your subconscious, you can't watch the movie without it being distracting. I bought one and sold it a week later and then never looked back from LCD. I don't want others in my home cinema experiencing it either which is why I went LCD.

My current Epson 5010 has fantastic blacks. Until 3 chip DLP is available for the same price as an LCD equivalent then no DLP for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
DLP can also produce headahces and nausea on slower color wheel projectors. I had a Mitsubishi hd1000 that would give me a headache after 45 minutes of watching. I switched to an Infocus 7210 with a faster color wheel and I no longer experience any of those problems. One of the problems with budget projectors is RBE/headaches/nausea due to slower color wheels so you have to watch out for them. Apparently the Benq w1070 is pretty good in this area. I also read the Sharp XV-z30000 is excellent in this area and can be had for under 2k right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
Problems with RBE effects for some people, while real, are grossly exaggerated on this website....if it was as bad of a problem as characterized here the technology would have never gained any traction in the marketplace. Remember the first DLP projectors had 1X color wheels and even with that grew to be a very popular technology, Each person has to learn for themselves...don't believe any of the posts here. It has to be looked at individually on a case by case basis. There is no consensus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
The RBE effect is also really bad on some LED projectors without any color wheels. I just wish manufacturers would publish specs on how fast the LEDs cycle with their products.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
299 Posts
BE VERY AFRAID...


Because once you see it then it will nag you into getting another projector sooner than you planned!


It never goes away, and then you notice it when you should be enjoying the show your watching intstead.


Then you start looking for it all the time even when it's not there.


RGB or the possibility is a deal killer period.


CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo  /t/1461997/how-afraid-should-i-be-of-rbe#post_23061261


BE VERY AFRAID...


Because once you see it then it will nag you into getting another projector sooner than you planned!


It never goes away, and then you notice it when you should be enjoying the show your watching intstead.


Then you start looking for it all the time even when it's not there.


RGB or the possibility is a deal killer period.


CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!

RBE is a problem for you...fine...but it is not for millions of other people...most people have no issue or have never even heard of RBE....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckian  /t/1461997/how-afraid-should-i-be-of-rbe#post_23061275


most people have no issue or have never even heard of RBE....

It is a mistake to use the term most, when in fact there is nothing but anecdotal evidence one way or the other. The percentage of people who do or do not see RBE is purely conjecture. In my small corner of the world, more people see them than those who don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
My first projector was an LCD as I was afraid of the dreaded RBE. When the polarizer went out at 2200 hours, my next projector was DLP. I do occasionally see RBE-- mostly in high contrast scenes. I can't say I look for it, it doesn't bother me, since it lasts for such a short time and no one who has watched the projector as ever said anything-- like what are those rainbow artifacts.


I think it's something that might be a problem for a few very sensitive people, and if you are one of them-- well you'll think it's a big problem, but I suspect the universe of those sensitive people is fairly small.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top