AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you make a decision based on what you hear at dealer or you take demo pairs home?

Is it a common practice for dealers to allow home auditioning?

Reason I am asking is that I am getting results that I do not know what to make of.

Here is an example, I will not mention speaker’s names/models so that I do not start senseless discussion about brands.

I listened to 3 different floor standers in a dealer’s room that is not treated, room very small with bare walls.

All 3 speakers are small floor standers, driven by the same gear, at the same listening distance and the same clearance from the walls.

Two of those speakers sound relatively clear (considering the room), but with somewhat lesser dynamics while one particular pair sounds horrible with vocals, so much distortions that not only it looses clarity, but becomes painful.

You take that same pair to a room that is heavily sound proofed, for example walls behind speakers are covered in places with thick foam, with thick carpet on the wall and on the floor, and suddenly that pair becomes clearer with superior dynamics compared to other two pairs.

So what does it mean?

That this one that sounds horrible in untreated room is unbalanced with a peak in certain range that becomes amplified by reflections, which you cure to a degree with soundproofing and then it sounds good to you?

Or it means that the pair actually has superior dynamics and must be placed in a larger and/or soundproofed room?

I had another post previously (In search of speakers), and I was going around listening to suggested speakers, and I still do not know what to make out of what I heard.

Should I flatly dismiss anything I hear in untreated rooms and not draw any conclusions? Or do good speakers by its nature sound good in both untreated and treated rooms?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You will never really know what the speaker really sounds like until it is installed in your room with your gear.

You can only get gut impressions from auditions at even high end audio stores. I don't buy anything without a 30 day unconditional return policy. The store I make a point to go to every now and then to audition higher end gear here in the Denver area encourages you to take it and try it.

I have seen some great speakers that are only great in a well treated room though, I'd probably decline to purchase such a beats if I suspected that to be the case as I don't want to work that hard on my HT rooms to get an accurate decent sound.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.