AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many rave about the 170's and 340's for music. How are they for movies? I am planning to use 170's for l/r, 340 for center, and 2 floorstanding sony's for my 2 surround and sony sa-wm40 for sub for time being.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Speakers that are good for music should also be good for movies. The reverse is not always true, however, as good music requires superior accuracy and neutrality that is usually less of an issue on movie soundtracks.

Dsmith

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have the 170s for mains and surrounds, with the 340 center and a VFT-2 sub. They sound great with movies and music, IMO.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thiruvil
Does the 340 center sound deep with bass? I like dialogue with bass
How deep? Dialogue with bass...do you mean deep voices?

It is spec'd at 55hz +/- 3db.....but with a sub, crossed at say 80hz, it won't get there.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I think you mean dialogue that has nice rich mids ( most vocals are considered midrange).... as opposed to tin sounding....

I dont often recommend Rockets in another brand's thread (believe it or not), but you, my friend, are a candidate for the RSC200! It just completely opens up in the midrange, airy.. throaty wonderful mids ...

I havent heard the 340 though, im sure its excellent at mids too, and cheaper.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Thank John....

If that is what is meant....Ascends excel in reproducing vocals.

And yes...the RSC200 is very nice!

·
Registered
27,314 Posts
A general rule I have always found to be true is that if a speaker is spectacular for music, it will be good for home theater. Movie soundtrack reproduction doesn't require anything more or different from musical speakers for the most part.

Of course there are always some exceptions (e.g. planars / ribbons, bass response, etc.).

If you find a well built, standard designed speaker, it will perform for home theater. However, adding a subwoofer would be a way to augment the performance for HT as opposed to music.

The Ascends seem to have an excellent reputation for music, I doubt you can go wrong.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My pioneer 811s will only crossover at its lowest 100. Will this be fine. also should I set these speakers (170s and 340) to small?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
100 and small will work. I heard them the first time at those settings. I had mine at 80hz and small.

You can try setting them to large and then playing with the sub's crossover, instead of the receiver's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will I miss much with 100hz and small because setting my speakers to large doesn't seem to disable the crossover from the receiver and I get no bass from the sub

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do any 170 owners have these wall mounted or enclosed in a bookshelf/cabinet/integrated wall (common in HT applications? Given the rear ports, do they sound as good as people say in more optimal listening situations?

Can anyone comment on the HTM-200s as surrounds? I haven't seen many reviews (personal or professional). I'm contemplating a 7.2 ascend package with two VTF-2's, but I'm worried about placement considerations for the surrounds and possibly even the L/C/Rs. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have my 170 rear surrounds wall mounted, they sound fine. The Omnimount brackets I got give me a couple inches clearance from the walls. I'd be more concerned about the mains...mine are on stands with a foot and a half clearance behind them. The surrounds aren't going to be as critical, IMO, since you're just getting the "effects" as compared to the dialog and other key information going to the L/C/R.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same system as you JDLIVE! 4 CBM-170s and 1 340c with the VTF-2 sub :). Did you get the omnimounts from Ascend or did you get them from somewhere else. I noticed that they are about $10-12 more on the Ascend site than on some other sites. Do you know if they sell a specific version of that mount or is it a generic one? I went to the omnimount site and saw that they have several shaft lengths lengths. I would guess that with the 170's you would want to get as far away from the wall as possible (ie STX version) - am I right?

...hh

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I'm a sucker and bought them from Ascend...I didn't realize they were just omnimounts. ;)

This looks like the one I have:

http://www.omnimount.com/product.asp?p=54

One thing I need to do is flip mine 170s over so they "hang down" from the mount instead of "stand up". I guess Ascent recommends that, but I forgot to ask them. ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
The mounts that Ascend sells on their website is the Omnimount 20.0 and I used them to mount my CBM surrounds. Don't know if the STX variant of the mounts would improve the sound any, but I am perfectly happy with the sound as is from the normal version. The standard shaft and ball-and-socket joint already cause the speaker to jut out quite a ways from the wall, so blockage of the port shouldn't be an issue.

Victor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.