AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interested in this set after the price slash. I know HD looks great on these babies, but I've yet to see one of them hooked up to a DVD player or an XBox.

For those of you who own one of these sets, what has been your experience with DVD playback (via progressive component or upconversion), and Xbox in 480p or above?

Sank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had my Panasonic TH-42PX50U since May. I have played quite a few DVD's and tried a couple of games on my XBox.

I have a Samsung upconverting DVD player and the DVD's look great. I have had no issues at all with the PQ. This may be what has made me happiest about buying my Panasonic. I am an hour's drive from the closest movie theatre. Now I don't miss going to the theatre at all.

I had planned to play a lot of Xbox this summer, but I have had to work a fair amount of OT so I haven't played all that much. The 2 two games I have played the most are Doom 3 and GTA:San Andreas (sorry, Hilary).

Doom 3 looks stunning on the Panasonic. Combined with surround sound, it is an immersive and frightening experience. GTA looked good too. Of course it is a different type of game. GTA is more about getting into mischief on a huge map. It doesn't try to have top of the line graphics.

When Halflife 2 comes out for Xbox, I hope to devote more time to gaming.

I hope that info helps.

Sagebrush

·
Registered
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1
Very interested in this set after the price slash. I know HD looks great on these babies, but I've yet to see one of them hooked up to a DVD player or an XBox.

For those of you who own one of these sets, what has been your experience with DVD playback (via progressive component or upconversion), and Xbox in 480p or above?

Sank you!
Quite simply ... the finest DVD playback I've seen to date on all flat panels, including the much more expensive Pioneers. Just my opinion :>)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails
Quite simply ... the finest DVD playback I've seen to date on all flat panels, including the much more expensive Pioneers. Just my opinion :>)

Dovetails,

I just went to Best Buy with a few DVDs (ROTK EE, Gladiator EE and Spider-Man 2), popped them into the Toshiba upconversion player they had hooked up to the Panny TH-50PX50U on display, and I must say, I agree with you 100%. DVD playback on this thing is incredible. Very filmic and lifelike. I could see details during the colosseum sequences in Gladiator that I never knew were there before.

For you folks that own the 42", are you happy with the size? This TV will be going in my bedroom where I'll be watching DVDs and playing Xbox 360 repeatedly. God, I love this TV. I was this close to buying the Sony KDF-E42A10 (which is a very nice set, the best in its class, imo) but it's got nothing on the Panny. The black levels are just a deal-breaker for me. And now that burn-in isn't really an issue anymore, I'm not gonna look back. I can't for the life of me see how anyone could think flat-panel LCDs offer a better picture than a well-adjusted Panasonic plasma. I think the Pannys eat those things up.

I am getting one of these TVs in the near future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
10secbee.

I have not noticed a bit of lag at all. I have also checked out Hitman 2, and Halo 2 on my TH-42PX50U. I have never seen lag with any of these games.

Sagebrush

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
DVDs played back in 480p on my 50PX50U look excellent.
moreso than via upconversion? have you tried both?

i've been wondering what dvd player to get for my upcoming 508uk purchase. been leaning toward getting a good 480 player, like the pioneer 588, since most of the good upconverting ones have macroblocking problems with panny plasmas.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
moreso than via upconversion? have you tried both?
No, I just have an inexpensive Philips progressive scan DVD player; but it's performance and picture my PX50U renders is quite good. I'm more interested in HD-DVD/Blu-ray format(s) but very concerned regarding the impact "copy protection" policies will have with HD-DVD audio sound working with my Onkyo Dolby Digital receiver.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1
Dovetails,

I just went to Best Buy with a few DVDs (ROTK EE, Gladiator EE and Spider-Man 2), popped them into the Toshiba upconversion player they had hooked up to the Panny TH-50PX50U on display, and I must say, I agree with you 100%. DVD playback on this thing is incredible. Very filmic and lifelike. I could see details during the colosseum sequences in Gladiator that I never knew were there before.

For you folks that own the 42", are you happy with the size? This TV will be going in my bedroom where I'll be watching DVDs and playing Xbox 360 repeatedly. God, I love this TV. I was this close to buying the Sony KDF-E42A10 (which is a very nice set, the best in its class, imo) but it's got nothing on the Panny. The black levels are just a deal-breaker for me. And now that burn-in isn't really an issue anymore, I'm not gonna look back. I can't for the life of me see how anyone could think flat-panel LCDs offer a better picture than a well-adjusted Panasonic plasma. I think the Pannys eat those things up.

I am getting one of these TVs in the near future.
Yoda;

I did basically the same thing, albeit a different store, took in some of my reference DVDs and was blown away by the PQ (and I have yet to see playback through HDMI on this set :>) can only get better I would assume!! ... but even still, nothing else at the store compared to the Pannasonic. Some other sets came close with HD feed ... but DVD playback was stellar on the Panny, put to shame sets costing two to three times the price.

BTW, I've had a chance to see all three sizes (37/42/50) if one has a closer more intimate seating distance the 37 is a killer ... considering you are taking the same amount of pixels as the 42 and squeezing it into a 37 inch picture, detail is fantastic! I think the 42 is gonna be just about right for me at a viewing distance of 9 to 10 feet, the 50, I felt, I had to move back a little farther for my eye to have the same detail viewing DVD. Unfortunately, my new room won't allow me this luxury.

I'm about a month away from pulling the trigger on one of these sets ... I'm in the process of finishing off my new dedicated HT room now... pretty pumped!!! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been researching through these forums for a while to figure out the best TV for me. I'd about decided on the Sony A-10/20, but in every thread about that tv someone mentions the Panny Plasma.

I spend more time playing games than I do watching TV, I *thought* that plasmas were out of the question due to burn in. Then I see up above that "that's no longer an issue". Can anyone explain (or point to) the advancements in technology that have happened to allow this? If plasmas now are burn in resistant, would that really fix things for someone like me who probably plays a couple hours a day with fixed game information on screen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secbee
Sagebrush, have you noticed any lag at all on your plasma when using xbox? Thanks
I don't think lag has ever really been an issue with plasmas.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopFoo
I've been researching through these forums for a while to figure out the best TV for me. I'd about decided on the Sony A-10/20, but in every thread about that tv someone mentions the Panny Plasma.

I spend more time playing games than I do watching TV, I *thought* that plasmas were out of the question due to burn in. Then I see up above that "that's no longer an issue". Can anyone explain (or point to) the advancements in technology that have happened to allow this? If plasmas now are burn in resistant, would that really fix things for someone like me who probably plays a couple hours a day with fixed game information on screen?

Thanks!
im wondering the same thing...I just purchased the 50" panny on saturday and i havent hooked up my ps2 yet. i'm scared as hell from burn-in. i'm at least waiting until 100 hours before i even think about it. i have a log book sitting on my tv stand lol

are you getting the "burn in is not much of an issue anymore" from the panny white-paper? they said burnin is less of an issue but you still have to watch out for it.

I was also in best buy a few weeks ago and the salesman told me that someone had just returned a plasma (dont know if it was panny) and it had the madden score burned into it. he said they swapped it out by accident so the guy got pretty lucky. at the time i was looking at rp lcd's so it may have been a story to get me to buy the tv that day (rp lcd)

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice1874193
im wondering the same thing...I just purchased the 50" panny on saturday and i havent hooked up my ps2 yet. i'm scared as hell from burn-in. i'm at least waiting until 100 hours before i even think about it. i have a log book sitting on my tv stand lol

are you getting the "burn in is not much of an issue anymore" from the panny white-paper? they said burnin is less of an issue but you still have to watch out for it.

I was also in best buy a few weeks ago and the salesman told me that someone had just returned a plasma (dont know if it was panny) and it had the madden score burned into it. he said they swapped it out by accident so the guy got pretty lucky. at the time i was looking at rp lcd's so it may have been a story to get me to buy the tv that day (rp lcd)
Is there any chance you will be using a CableCARD from ATW with your PDP and have the optical audio out connected to a dolby digital receiver? I'd like to compare notes with someone using ATW+CableCARD that has a set-up similar to mine. I'm primarily interested in any information that can be shared regarding ATW's "copy protection" policies.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
Is there any chance you will be using a CableCARD from ATW with your PDP and have the optical audio out connected to a dolby digital receiver? I'd like to compare notes with someone using ATW+CableCARD that has a set-up similar to mine. I'm primarily interested in any information that can be shared regarding ATW's "copy protection" policies.
I'm using the SA8300HD. I read something about the copy protection in the manual - what is that all about? and whats ATW?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.