AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they use RAID or some industrial stuff? What PC's do they use? Any idea on typical specs?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Coming from the data center computing field, I would suspect they are typically saved on backed up storage servers, the backups being redundant file servers, tape, or optical.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/14327382

Coming from the data center computing field, I would suspect they are typically saved on backed up storage servers, the backups being redundant file servers, tape, or optical.

Tape

·
Registered
4 Posts
Film masters are never digitized, cause you lose quality every time you make a transfer. They simply use high-quality that is renitent to time, microorganisms and everything else. They make new masters from time to time too.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Masters are "expendable" it's the negatives that counts. They must keep 'em in a Fort Knox type of facility.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Read a couple articles on movie archiving recently. I believe they are stored long-term in two ways. In digital form on magnetic tape (I believe LTO is still the preferred format). And on polyester film, separated into three B&W strips which represent cyan, magenta and yellow.

The LTOs have to be updated about every 5 to 10 years, because new LTO drives are backward compatible with only two generations of the tapes. And it is a fairly costly and time consuming process, because of the increasing amounts of data that have to be transferred.

Properly stored, the film elements have the longest shelf life, on the order of a century.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts