AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some people mention their libraries of movies recorded off of HBO-HD, etc. Is this done with an HTPC or is it done with a D-VHS recorder?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I just got HD over cable, and would like to record it like I do with the OTA broadcasts (I use the MyHD card).

TIA

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, from what I can tell from looking in other forums, people are using D-VHS recorders to capture this content. Looks as if they're having to output to component and then essentially re-encode the signal (although it must look awesome).

So, I see that the Holo3DGraph can't be used to encode from component inputs... but does anyone know of anything on the horizon that may allow this? I want to run the Motorola DCT-5100 into my computer, not the TV! ;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wrong on all counts. :)

H3D should allow you to record 480i SDTV over its component input.

It will not accept HDTV not to talk of 480p.

To capture uncompressed HDTV, you would need an SDI card that costs about $10K.

For HDTV, I use E* 5000 + Modulator + myHD to record first to disk (approx $800 for all).

Then DVHS to stream it to JVC 30K via firewire, if I want to archive the show.

There's also a solution for D* from 169time.com.

Check the HDTV recorders forum for more info.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"you would need an SDI card that costs about $10K" - but the H3D has SDI and it is only $800. You sill need a modded Sat reciever with SDI though.

You might also get/have one of those Sat Recievers with Firewire and go that route.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
"you would need an SDI card that costs about $10K" - but the H3D has SDI and it is only $800. You sill need a modded Sat reciever with SDI though.
From what I've found, SDI cards capable of HD input are around $10K.
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0205/01.kona.php
http://www.digitalvoodoo.net/product...lt.asp?card=15

Looks like these all run on Macintosh's as well.

Quote:
For HDTV, I use E* 5000 + Modulator + myHD to record first to disk (approx $800 for all).
Looks like this combo is the way to go:
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~balazer/dtv/

"The HDTV Digital Modulator (used with the Model 5000) outputs an ATSC signal that must be fed to an ATSC receiver/decoder. The receiver and modulator are discontinued and somewhat hard to find. The Model 5000/Modulator solution almost the only means of recording HDTV HBO and Showtime programming. (HD HBO and Showtime are available as ATSC/8VSB cable transmissions in very few markets. They are also available via C-band satellite)"

·
Registered
897 Posts
HD-SDI (1.5 Gbps) is not the same and much more expensive than regular 270Mbps SDI. HD-SDI cards are around $10k, although at NAB I saw a $30k HDTV encoder which could be used for uncompressed analog component HDTV to go firewire into a D-VHS bit bucket. But if you're going to spend 30k on a encoder, might as well buy a half-inch HDTV tape machine that can cost over $100000! Sony just released a UNCOMPRESSED 4:4:4 10-bit HDTV tape machine called HDCAM-SR... Its list price? n/a :D

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/NAB/imgs/product/srw5000.gif

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by freat
"The HDTV Digital Modulator (used with the Model 5000) outputs an ATSC signal that must be fed to an ATSC receiver/decoder. The receiver and modulator are discontinued and somewhat hard to find. The Model 5000/Modulator solution almost the only means of recording HDTV HBO and Showtime programming.
Sounds like this would be a perfect addition to our switcher project (which may be about to evolve into something much bigger...)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Look in the 169time.com area now. Looks like the avx-1 s/w is ready for its second release and so far I cant make it fail on HBO, HDnet or PPV.

There is no other direct tv game in town!!

Dave

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
DirectTV: DTC100->169timeHDVR->169timeAVX1->D-VHS VCR

Dish: Dish5000+DishHDTVmodulator->8VSB receiver

8VSB receiver can be a PC card that records to hard disk, or a set top box that sends IEEE1394 to a D-VHS VCR.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptrubey
OK, ElvisIncognito, I'll bite - what's your switcher project?
Sorry- I thought everyone knew about it. Check the 2nd link in my sig. (1st link as well - big things on the horizon for the HTPC...)

EDIT: Oops! Sorry! Forgot I wasn't in the HTPC forum... :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I want DTC100->169timeHDVR->169timeAVX1->PC Hard Drive/Raid Array, somebody out there's doing it, and if you are, PLEASE PM me

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Apo,
Quote:
What about the samsung SIRTS160. Does this unit have firewire and can you record onto the HMDH30000.
No, it does not. There are no DirecTV receivers currently shipping or announced with any form of Firewire. For HDTV recording from DirecTV, the modified / hacked DTC100 from 169time is the only option available today.

For Dish Network, many people are using the older 5000 box to record HBO / Showtime, but this box will not allow recording of new and upcoming HDTV channels, which will be delivered with 8PSK.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
bfdtv- Dave just announced a 169Time retrofit for the 6000. Check it out! Questions submitted for the 8PSK concern.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Am I missing something. What's wrong with:

Antenna->HiPix->Computer storage

Computer Storage->Radeon 97/9800->Hd Display

Works and is fairly cheap.

- John

·
Registered
674 Posts
uh....satellite not available thru the Hipix....dude. OTA yes, satellite NO.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.