AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear audiophiles,

I need some advice with the following BIC Venturi system and Dayton sub:

BIC America Venturi DV64 2-Way Tower Speaker (Pair)

BIC America DV-62CLRS 6-Inch 2-Way Center Channel Speaker

BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)

Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12-Inch 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer

The above is intended to go with Onkyo TX-NR626 (specs below link):
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HyTpNaa0KLp/p_580TXN626/Onkyo-TX-NR626.html

Size of room is 12x15. But want to invest in something that can fill a space bigger than that.

The whole speaker set comes to around 610 (from Amazon), which is slightly above my budget.

This is the first speaker system I am getting, so know very little of the various makes. Generally I only know of the speakers that are advertised a lot, eg. Bose, Polk… etc. Fortunately I learnt from one of the posts in AVS forums of the hype around Bose speakers which pushed me to look around at other speakers and found the BIC system. So to check how the above compares with what could be a high-end speaker, I compared it to the Polk Tsi400 (if you audiophiles consider it high-end ;-)). To me, from the specs, it seemed pretty comparable or better than the Polk specs. Any case my wallet is not so thick to get the Polk, but I need advice on whether BIC is good quality-wise, will it last? Appreciate and thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can tell you that I have the BIC center speaker, and I find it to be incredible. The audio quality is as good as any speaker three times its price. As for the value of BIC speakers, they really can't be beat.

For $610.00, that is a great price for the set up. In short, you won't be sorry with this purchase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the DV64 comapare with the BIC Formula FH-6T. I am thinking of the latter if it's worth.

Planning to go with DV 32 for surround due to size restrictions. So that saves up some money to upgrade to FH-6T if it is noticeably better than DV64.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_iyer16  /t/1526145/how-are-the-bic-venturi-speakers#post_24592947

How does the DV64 comapare with the BIC Formula FH-6T. I am thinking of the latter if it's worth.

Planning to go with DV 32 for surround due to size restrictions. So that saves up some money to upgrade to FH-6T if it is noticeably better than DV64.
Just make sure to get a different matching center
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-FH6-LCR-6-5-Inch-Frequency/dp/B0015A8Y3E/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=03ENJVR3TNWFNTCRFDNH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry forgot to mention I was then planning to get the FH6-LCR Center with the FH-6T tower. Thanks for pointing it out.

I just read in a AVS forum that the FH-6T is a cheap build. But there were no followup comments or discussion. That's my only worry.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_iyer16  /t/1526145/how-are-the-bic-venturi-speakers#post_24595123

Sorry forgot to mention I was then planning to get the FH6-LCR Center with the FH-6T tower. Thanks for pointing it out.

I just read in a AVS forum that the FH-6T is a cheap build. But there were no followup comments or discussion. That's my only worry.
Given your budget most speakers in that area are cheaply built. Also in your Budget is the Pioneer SP-FS52-LR towers , with SP-C22 Center and SP-BS22 Bookshelf speakers. Those speakers feel quite solid to me given what I have touched and seen from them. You can get them at your local Best Buy if you got one close to you.

The Bic DV62 bookshelf years ago were higly rated but not sure if they changed much.

You might want to send a private message to user flicktguru he is the only active person I know with Bic speakers right now on the forums. He has Bic Acoustec's which are a higher line but he might have some more insight. Maybe he has had some experience with them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@crazyrob425, you are rubbing salt into my wounds. I had my eyes on the Pinoneer Anrew Jones system that you linked when they were available recently at almost 30% discount!!!

I missed that opportunity as I wanted to still look around at other speakers and do some research.

On the brighter side, I learnt a bit more about speakers and feel like experimenting with the BIC.

Want to give the FH-6T a try.

By "cheap build" I meant if they come in some flimsy (cardboard) enclosures compared to the DV64, I will prefer the latter. I guess both have similar builds.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
hari..... Are you planning on listening to a lot of 2 channel music on your system??? I ask this because if you are NOT going to do a lot of 2 channel listening I would advise you to get 3 BIC FH6-LCRs for the front 3. I say this as I have the BIC Acoustech 2 - PL-89 towers, 1 - PL-28 center, and 4 - PL-66 surrounds and the sound is very different from the towers to the center and also to the surrounds. For both multichannel music and movies you want the sound to be as much the same as possible. The reason the towers sound different from the center is because they are a pretty large ported tower with a pretty low tune and the center is a narrow sealed enclosure. Now don't get me wrong I like the way my system sounds, BUT if the Acoustech brand would have made an LCR speaker that's what I would have got for ALL 7 speakers. So in all honesty if I had to do my purchase all over again now I would either be looking at buying 7 FH6-LCR's OR 7 of the new BIC D62-3LCR. The D62-LCR is new and doesn't have any reviews as far as I know but its got 2 - 6.5" woofers, 1 - 3.5" midrange, and 1 - 1" tweeter and 2 front ports and can be used vertically or horizontally.

Also I would look into some better subs. I know this hobby is expensive but good subs make all the difference in the world on how your system sounds. I run 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs.

Also if you like Onkyo receiver I would suggest looking at accessories4less.com for refurb receivers. They have the Onkyo 616 for $330 + shipping and the Onkyo 626 for $350 with FREE shipping. Hopefully by doing that you can spend more on subs.

Reactions: hari_iyer16

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Shawn,

I got the Onkyo NR626. Actually have been spending more time reading about the speakers 'cos enjoying it a bit.

I like your suggestion of going with the FH6-LCR for the front speakers too. Just wondering if I will have to mount the front speakers on a stand as it is 21'' in height. While the towers are 39''. The hearing positions are mostly in the 36 to 50 inches level. The distance to the speakers will be 10-12 feet.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Ok yeah research is a good thing... The FH6-LCR speakes come with key hole style mounting brackets for both vertical and horizontal orientations, so you have 4 options: (1. mount/hang them on the wall, (2. set them on a shelf or something, (3. buy stands to set them on, or (4. buy swiveling speaker mounts so you can mount them to the wall then angle them however sounds best. Just remember you want the tweeters a seated ear level. The towers have the tweeters at the top to get them to ear level with the LCR's the tweeter is in the middle so you have to go by the tweeter not the top of the speaker.

Reactions: hari_iyer16
1 - 12 of 12 Posts