AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still caught up on the old fashion way on viewing my 3D movies from my PC to my 42 inch flat, using MPC-HC via SVP Manager or using KMPLayer with a pair of Red/Cyan glasses.

I am currenly looking into a 3D TV, maybe this summer perhaps if I can find a decently price quality model flat.

I am definitely being short changed on my viewing experiecne when watching my HQ 25-20GB 3D BluRay movie files while watching them through Red/Cyan glasses. :(

I am just curious, how are you guys viewing your downloaded 3D movies via your PC, weather you are using 3D media player or a 3D TV that renders the 3D vid?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I think most users have 3D televisions or projectors. Before I got a 3D tv I screwed around a bit with the anaglyph glasses just to see how it worked - Arcsoft Total Media Theater 5 could render that way, as could a few Xbox 360 games (like Batman Arkham Asylum).

But I never really tried to seriously watch 3D until I got a 3D television. I had 6 or 7 3D blurays that came in combo packs. I've tried ripping them to my PC as ISO files and then using TMT5, and I downloaded the demo version of Stereoscopic Player to test that.

My 3D tv has an MVC decoder, so the Plex app can natively play them. So if I really wanted to rip them thats how I'd probably play them.

But given that it will be very rare that I watch them I figure playing the discs with my Xbox One is the best way forward.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What graphic cards are they, and in what way is it better with AMD?

Curious because I am in the middle of buying a graphic card.
I had a GTS450 in my htpc and 2 gtx580s in my main computer - both on 3D capable screens. I found the setup a little more tedious and sometimes had to redo the process with nvidia. I switched to a R7 260X in my htpc because I had issues syncing my movies and tv at 24p it was always dropping a frame every 2-3 mins. That problem disappeared with the ATI and it works flawlessly. When it came to 3D with ATI, it just worked as soon as I played a 3D movie in powerdvd - much more plug and play with a lot less fiddling around. That includes 3D bluray rips and physical disks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a GTS450 in my htpc and 2 gtx580s in my main computer - both on 3D capable screens. I found the setup a little more tedious and sometimes had to redo the process with nvidia. I switched to a R7 260X in my htpc because I had issues syncing my movies and tv at 24p it was always dropping a frame every 2-3 mins. That problem disappeared with the ATI and it works flawlessly. When it came to 3D with ATI, it just worked as soon as I played a 3D movie in powerdvd - much more plug and play with a lot less fiddling around. That includes 3D bluray rips and physical disks.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
I've heard if it's not an ISO or directly playing from a Disc, that PowerDVD does 2D to 3D conversion on the fly even if it's a frame packed MKV.

I guess you are aware of that and found a solution.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I've heard if it's not an ISO or directly playing from a Disc, that PowerDVD does 2D to 3D conversion on the fly even if it's a frame packed MKV.

I guess you are aware of that and found a solution.
So if you rip a 3D MKV using makemkv what plays that back ? options ?

( I usually ISO for 3D)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
So if you rip a 3D MKV using makemkv what plays that back ? options ?

( I usually ISO for 3D)
Stereoscopic Player does. From what I gather it is a fork of MPC-HC that has a licensed MVC decoder (which is why its not freeware).

Some of the STB media players can as well (I think Mede8r is one). Ive seen that mentioned a few places.

TSMuxer can create an MVC M2TS file, either by remuxing an MKV or from BDMV. Those work on Stereoscopic Player, and they also work on [some] Samsung smart tv sets via Plex.

Since I already ran a Plex server it makes more sense for me to use the built in client on my tv (which was just updated and looks really good).

But I've taken to just sticking the discs in my Xbox One, since 3D isn't a typical thing for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts