AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best setup for connecting all of my sources to my new TV (LG 60PK950, for anybody that cares).

Here are the main ways I can think of:

1) Source video directly to TV -> source audio directly to receiver

2) Source audio & video to receiver -> receiver video to TV

3) Source audio & video to switch -> switch audio to receiver -> switch video to TV

4) Various combinations of the above.

I'm debating to buy an HDMI receiver and/or a switch. So I wanted to see what the recommended setup is, and find out what the tradeoffs are for each.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
All of my sources are HDMI to the receiver and HDMI from the receiver to the display. This allows the receiver to decode uncompressed high definition multichannel audio from my Blu-ray player. It also will allow 1080p/24 through to the display, if the display can do 24 fps or some whole multiple thereof.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark44001 /forum/post/19522573

Since you don't have HDMI, No.2 is the way I use mine. You didn't tell us your source for video/audio.

Sorry, component = source, not interface. As in, DVD/Blu Ray player, HTPC, video game console, etc. I've fixed the original post/thread title.

I have HDMI (except on Wii).

·
Registered
77 Posts
You definitely want #2 using HDMI, as it will give you the most reliable solution with the best audio (HD audio formats) and video. #3 would also work, but could have reliability problems and would be more expensive. #1 is way more complicated and requires you to use analog for audio in most cases (unless you have a source with two HDMI outputs). #4 is just adding complexity where it's not needed.

Get a good HDMI receiver, connect all your sources to that using HDMI, and connect your TV to the receiver using HDMI. If everything is HDMI 1.4 compliant, you're good to go. If not, you may need one more audio cable from the TV to receiver to get TV tuner/internet audio but that's it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts