AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about done with my surround sound setup. I've been really thinking about using in-ceiling for my surrounds. Really just because I have some laying around. I know its not what surround sound should sound like but how bad will it really be? Will it completely take away from the surround sound experience I'm used to?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Depending on the shape of your room & the quality of the speakers, in-ceiling speakers can sound as good as on-wall surround speakers. Maybe even better. I'd suggest you place your surround speakers just to the outside of the seating area and your rears behind just as you would on-wall speakers. If your in-ceiling speakers are aimable, even better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Count me as one for suggesting in-ceiling surrounds - I have them and I really enjoy them. I'm using the AMS series from Paradigm, they are build really solid and were easy to install. Helicopters and airplanes sound fantastic behind you, even more realism

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Hard to sound isolate anything in wall or ceiling

·
Registered
9 Posts
never liked the sound of in-ceiling speakers, but I suppose I've never heard real high-end ones before. Just a side-note, putting your speakers further away from the viewing area increases the ideal seating area (doulby site)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use in ceiling side and rear surrounds in my 7.1 (JBLs). I think they sound fantastic. I did spend more for my mains, Jamo fwiw, but the JBLs are doing a great job.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Given my small space, I really had to use in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds in my 7.1 set-up. My speakers (Monster 5.25in - got a GREAT price) do a good job, but it took a while for me to get used to the surround effects coming from "up above"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts