AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this deal on CL while searching for a receiver. Do you guys think this is a good buy? The 2 towers is worth more than what he is asking for. I know it's used, but would like some insight on this deal.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/1612698757.html

This will be my first home theater system. I don't really have a huge budget but if this is a good deal, I would like to start with this.

My room is 12'x22'x8', I have close neighbors who will not like loud noise. I prefer clarity over loudness. Is this a great start for me?

If I should proceed with the deal, should I bargain a bit? What questions should I ask the owner?

How much more money am I looking at to complete a matching or same level center. sub, and rear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I can't tell what model is the HK receiver is. Refurbished HK receiver can be found cheap on ebay. As for Klipsch....it's a love/hate thing with most people. Best you audition them first.

If you have a local shop, I suggest you audition a few speakers as well. Polk can also be found cheap at newegg and some B&M Frys are having their Infinity Primus 362 on sale so if you have a frys near you, go audition them as well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
x47 series H/K's were most common during the bulk of Synergy sales. It is probably one of those, still has HDMI switching.

Around here $350-400 would be fair is everything is intact and it's a 247 avr. Resale on Synergy towers is pretty bad. They are big, plain towers, vinyl covered sharp edged box construction. Nothing wrong with that, but it hurts resale value.

Lots of people like the sound of these, but without any correction they are some of the most treble heavy speakers on the market. It's a love or hate thing, and the seller should understand that.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I second the recommendation for some listening before buying. Klipsch (compression horns) are definitely a love / hate thing. I find them incredibly harsh, fatiguing, and annoying in the high frequencies. I call them ear drills. Other people like them for their controlled directivity, sensitivity, and dynamics. It's best you get a broad sampling of the various technologies and different manufacturers implementations / voicing before rushing to empty your pockets. Go listen to some products and then look for a deal on something you know you want to own rather than jumping on a "deal" only to find out that you hate them after 6 months. That is the most expensive route to an audio system.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare /forum/post/18221607

x47 series H/K's were most common during the bulk of Synergy sales. It is probably one of those, still has HDMI switching.

Around here $350-400 would be fair is everything is intact and it's a 247 avr. Resale on Synergy towers is pretty bad. They are big, plain towers, vinyl covered sharp edged box construction. Nothing wrong with that, but it hurts resale value.

Lots of people like the sound of these, but without any correction they are some of the most treble heavy speakers on the market. It's a love or hate thing, and the seller should understand that.

I don't think its a x47 model because the CL poster didn't mention anything about HDMI inputs. It surely would have to help sell the item easier if he put that in the ad.

The Bridge came out with the x40 and x45 units. Since the receiver has zone 2 it isn't the 240 and since he didn't mention HDMI it isn't the 445. I bet its the AVR-340 which is a pretty nice receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Kardon-AVR-340.../dp/B000BQS5IW

Of course the OP could just email the guy to find out what model it is.

Since the OP seems to be in SoCal, I'd he could go to Fry's and get the Infinity Primus P362 which I feel are better speakers for $300/pr and buy a refurb AVR 247 for under $250 shipped and get the 2 year mfrs warranty.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK...item2a05204682

Or get the AVR 254 for not much more. It has DTS-MA and True HD decoding, 3 HDMI inputs, upscaling of analog sources to 1080p and Zone 2. Plus you get the 2 year mfrs warranty.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=har...c0.m283&_rdc=1

Winning bids have recently been in the $245-$260 range plus $18 shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts