AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this varies from set to set, but while we will be getting HD DishNetwork service and a Blu-Ray player, we still have a lot of DVD's, particularly TV series collections.

I am just wondering how bad they might look on our new TV?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
They look fine on my Samsung. I have dozens of regular DVD's, and only a relatively few Blu-rays. The Blu-rays look exceptional, of course, but the DVD's look as good (or better) on my LCD HDTV as they did on my Sony CRT HDTV.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Every year the upscaling video chips in HDTVs get better and the top of the line models usually have better upscaling chips they the lowered priced models. Just make sure that you send the SD progam content from your new Dish STB to the TV in 480i and that you output to the TV from your DVD player in 480i normal mode and not in progessive mode.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19518240

Every year the upscaling video chips in HDTVs get better and the top of the line models usually have better upscaling chips they the lowered priced models. Just make sure that you send the SD progam content from your new Dish STB to the TV in 480i and that you output to the TV from your DVD player in 480i normal mode and not in progessive mode.

They look pretty good on my set, as I think they would on most now with a Bluray player.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 /forum/post/19518152

I know this varies from set to set, but while we will be getting HD DishNetwork service and a Blu-Ray player, we still have a lot of DVD's, particularly TV series collections.

I am just wondering how bad they might look on our new TV?

Thanks.

DVDs should look very good. Most panels do pretty well with SD material. The vast majority of panels have either Very Good, or Excellent picture quality with SD material.

I think you will be pleased.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
As long as you use a good upconverting dvd player, they will look pretty good. That's the key, because if you use an older dvd player with analog connections, you will get a worse picture.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/19519031

As long as you use a good upconverting dvd player, they will look pretty good. That's the key, because if you use an older dvd player with analog connections, you will get a worse picture.

I own a DENON 2930 dvd-upscaler & a PS3 bluray-player,dvd's look much better on the PS3/1080P LCd TV.

Thethreadstarter was talking about buying a bluray-player/1080P LCd,no word about a upconverting dvd-player .

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/19519179

I own a DENON 2930 dvd-upscaler & a PS3 bluray-player,dvd's look much better on the PS3/1080P LCd TV.

Thethreadstarter was talking about buying a bluray-player/1080P LCd,no word about a upconverting dvd-player .

That is correct.

I was planning on buying a Sony S370 Blu-Ray player.

How does that fit into the picture?

Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
DVDs will look awesome from your bluray player, but don't take my word for it, try it out!

The only SD material that looks bad typically comes from cable providers.

·
Banned
740 Posts
With standard DVDs it really depends on the title- some look very good, others look awful (compression artifacts and such.) Before I re-buy a favorite title on Blu-Ray, I watch my existing DVD (and/or laserdisc if I have that) and see how 'bad' it looks on my current setup.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
They look fantastic on my set.

My set has very MediTek processing and scaling.

My DVD player has even better processing processing and scaling taylored to DVD playback.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Depends on a) how big your set is b) how good the film transfer is c) whether is 1.78:1

Most DVDs look mediocre at best on my 60 incher ... with the 2.35:1 looking consistantly worse ... full screen titles are usually better by a long shot.

In a nutshell there just isn't enough resolution on dvd to fill a really big screen ... much of the time.

J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts