AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I pull the trigger on a new pre-amp/processor (or receiver), I will be using my old B&K Ref 20 and external HDMI/Component switcher. The B&K is fed by my BDP-1500 set to decode internally and then reencode into DTS which is fed into the B&K. The programmable remote manages macros to switch video/audio/projector inputs.

My logic is that it is better for me to invest now in the amp upgrades, and then upgrade the preamp/pro later when there are more choices (e.g., new Emotiva).

Anyone see fault in the logic?

Given the DTS 1.5mbps bitstream, I think the upgrade from DVD DD I am now realizing (with Blu-ray) trumps the upgrade from the current 1.5mbps DTS config to native Codecs.

I also have a highly treated room, so the advantages of room corrections from a new processor will be less than in other situations. (e.g., untreated room).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
you don't mention what your current amp is so it would be difficult to say whether an amp upgrade would be more needed than a pre-amp one.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me explain....

Speakers (L,C,R) are WCW configuration. (Coax is passively crossed over). Right now I am using a passive 1st order xover between the Woofers and Coax, but ideally I want to biamp and electronically cross over using Crown xti-1000s (built in DSP for crossover).

Right now, as said, using the passive xover and a combination of a Hafler 9303, NAD 214, and Crown Micro Tech 1200 distributed across the 5.1 channels.

Ultimately, will use one xti-1000 for each of LCR, perhaps the existing Hafler/NAD for the surround channels and an xti-4000 for the subs (I have four TC Sounds OEM 10s).

If I go with a receiver, I will use its built in AMPs for surrounds and still use the crowns for the LCRs and Subs.

db

1 - 3 of 3 Posts