AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it when I knew very little about Progressive Scan. Is it a bad player? I read soo much about the 1600, but nothing about the 900. Just wondering.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes its bad. It has a very poor high frequency response, so the picture is extremely soft. They also used a poor MPEG decoder. The 1600 is many times better! The newer models Denon 910 or 1200 a little better than the old 900, but the 1600 is still better than all.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about relative to plain old $100-200 DVD player at GoodGuys? I assume you say it's "bad", but there is worse, hell the average priced DVD player is like $80 now, they can't be better right?

Would the Smsung DVI player be better?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Denon DVD-900's frequency response is worse than many under $100 players like the JVC XV-N40BK and XV-N50BK models. Unless you can buy the 900 for well under $100, forget it. The DVI players have their own set of problems - I'd pass on them until the next generation. If you want under $100, the JVCs are the best choice and a bargain with a $20 rebate offer now.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the DCDi de-interlacing on the 900 was good, not good enough to make up for the high freq response?

Bottom line: Will a XV-N50BK look better than my DVD-900 overall? For $80 I'd be willing to buy another player, but for $300+ for the 1600 I would not. I watch mostly movie DVDs, not TV re-runs stuck on DVD.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
For the majority of DVDs (film-based movies) the JVC will be sharper and with no annoying color flicker issues than the DVD-900. The DCDi would only help on interlaced (video mode) DVDs which is only like TV episode box sets or music videos mostly. But the soft (poor frequency response) image of the DVD-900 kind of negates the advantage of the Faroudja since you lose the extra resolution anyway.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sold. I'll give it a try, maybe even hook them both up for a shootout :)

Damn GoodGuys selling me a DVD-900 for $300!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.