AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 35 story apt bldg is about to replace their VHF antenna with a UHF/VHF antenna at my request so that I can tune into NY DTV/HDTV channels. I live on the 32/33rd floors.

All the apts are prewired to receive a signal from this antenna. I think the cable is probably RG59 because the building was built in 1988.

I can get a decent signal on all VHF channels. Will the RG59 prevent my locking onto DTV channels using a HDTV tuner?

------------------

Eram

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The RG59 should probably be ok. The building may need an antenna preamp.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks. Do you think I need to get a splitter to split the UHF and VHF signals and then feed only the UHF signal to my dish 6000 8VSB?

------------------

Eram

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You do not need a splitter; the 6000 will work just fine if you just feed the cable right into it.

As far as your building is concerned, a 35 story building would have a very large MATV (Master Antenna TV) distribution system. This would certainly include things such as distribution amplifiers, splitters, directional taps, etc. More important than the RG-59 is the question whether or not these amplifiers and splitters are designed for UHF. If it was built in 1988 there's a good chance they are.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Instead of replacing the existing vhf antenna, you could consider having the building add a seperate UHF antenna. A channelmaster 4228 will give excellant reception, better than what you would get with a combined vhf/uhf combo antenna. You could simply combine the signals from the two antennas at the mast.

------------------

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.