AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this TV a year or so ago ( http://www.adventtv.com/2751adetail.html ) mainly bc it was cheap and onsale.

Now with the xbox360 and ps3 coming out ,im not sure if its really 'up to par', quality wise with other TVs. People have told me that advent is a cheap company, and that even though its 1080i, it still looks crappy compared to like sony or samsung.

Is it worth looking into getting a new TV? Id like to get DLP, but way out of my range (want to stay below $1000).

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
$1000 can get you something pretty darned respectable in the CRT Tube market that will be appreciably superior to what you have now. Check the leading brands and go as large as you can afford.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidion
I got this TV a year or so ago ( http://www.adventtv.com/2751adetail.html ) mainly bc it was cheap and onsale.

Now with the xbox360 and ps3 coming out ,im not sure if its really 'up to par', quality wise with other TVs. People have told me that advent is a cheap company, and that even though its 1080i, it still looks crappy compared to like sony or samsung.

Is it worth looking into getting a new TV? Id like to get DLP, but way out of my range (want to stay below $1000).
You only have 1 component input. So if you are going to use the HD, it will be for only the DVD or the gaming system. I don't really know that brand but for below a grand, I would get a sony. 27" (4:3), 30" (16/9) or a 32" (4:3).

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
This Advent TV is made by a Chinese TV company in China who also makes the Insignia and Prima brands. The 27" Advent always comes in one model only, but there were three different picture tubes made by different companies over the past several years in it. The early-batch Advent 27" TVs, like in late 2003, came with a Made in Japan Toshiba picture tube (no joke at all). The middle-batch Advent 27", which existed in mid-2004, came with a LG-Philips picture tube. Today, the latest-batch Advent 27" comes with either a Changhong or Chungwa picture tube. I believe Advent switched picture tubes several times before due to price drop on TVs.

Walter Chan

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
This Advent TV is made by a Chinese TV company in China that also makes the Insignia and Prima brands. The 27" Advent always comes in one model only, but there were three different picture tubes made by different companies over the past several years in it. The early-batch Advent 27" TVs, like in late 2003, came with a Made in Japan Toshiba picture tube (no joke at all). The middle-batch Advent 27", which existed in mid-2004, came with a LG-Philips picture tube. Today, the latest-batch Advent 27" comes with either a Changhong or Chungwa picture tube. I believe Advent switched picture tubes several times before due to price drop on TVs.

Walter Chan

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
This Advent TV is made by a Chinese TV company in China that also makes the Insignia and Prima brands. The 27" Advent always comes in one model only, but there were three different picture tubes made by different companies over the past several years in it. The early-batch Advent 27" TVs, like in late 2003, came with a Made in Japan Toshiba picture tube (no joke at all). The middle-batch Advent 27", which existed in mid-2004, came with a LG-Philips picture tube. Today, the latest-batch Advent 27" comes with either a Changhong or Chungwa picture tube. I believe Advent switched picture tubes several times before due to price drop on TVs.

Walter Chan
What about the 30inch Advent at BB?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.