Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ZOOK94
How bad is this?
That's not a real question is it? ;) Yes, it's pretty bad. I don't know on the NEC's if you can replace just the front glass. On my ECP you can. The real question is what caused it? I assume it was not like that when it was installed! Could this have been from too large a raster area and hitting the edge of the tube? Or low on fluid when installed and just overheated?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was perfect when installed. Raster was centered in the tube, it just started leaking. I assume it overheated, breaking the glass. My question is how did the leak start? Is this common?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
If the fluid was low when installed, it could definately cause overheating. He's been noticing the fluid for 2 months...how long has the pj been installed? Would your friend have tried to adjsut anything?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Projector has been hanging on the ceiling for 8 months or so... it was full when I converged it (no air bubbles). I am confident that he wouldn't have been able to open the case on the unit.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Quote:
I am confident that he wouldn't have been able to open the case on the unit.
:)

Maybe it just had a leak and after leaking so much it cracked the glass. It appears that only the outer glass is cracked, and not the actual tube face. IF so, you may be lucky. Someone more familiar with NECs will have to tell you if that glass is replaceable.

Don't worry. There are plenty of them on here.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hi,

i had had two imager601 before,and one have the problem as same like yours.and i got a burned nec crt tube.and replace the glass and fluid,and

use the silicon to get finished!

good luck!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I wonder if at some point the edge of the glass had been nicked. I have seen glass that has been nicked that will start cracking from outside forces such as flexing or maybe heat. If there is a nick in the glass where the crack started, I bet you that is it.

That is one thing we learned about in aviation mechanics. You have to stop drill any crack in aluminum or on the edges you have to round it or smooth it.

Also I might have the replacement glass.

Deron

·
Registered
411 Posts
Did the projector get subjected to extreme cold or heat such as winter or summer heat. As far as the repair, a couple of posts ago explained what to do. You need to find a bad CRT, cut the silicone and remove the glass, remove the broken glass from yours the same way, re-silicone the new glass onto your CRT, let dry and re-fill with fluid. There is no other way around it. I may be parting out a very old GE imager that I have. It may have the same CRT's. This one is Circa 1985. You can email me at [email protected] if interested. Thanks...Steve.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You may also make sure you leave a small bubble in the fluid at the top to account for expansion of the fluid when it gets hot. If there was no airspace at all in the cooling chamber, the internal pressure could have also cracked the glass. In any case, as explained above, it's no big deal to repair. I don't recall who sells the cooling fluid right now, so someone please chime in on that one.

Marc

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Real helpfull input?

Maybe it's just me but it seems everypost in this thread has attempted to be helpfull.

Replaceing the tube and cleaning up the liquid the best you can will fix the problem best. I personally wouldn't try to play with repairing the tube.

I wonder just what you would consider helpfull? Maybe you should ask a more direct question.

-Brian

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The cooling fluid is just ethelyn glycol, available at pharmacy's ? Just a non colored common coolant. Finding the colors for the colored coolant in Sony and some other tubes is the harder thing to find.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You might also contact Charlie at VDC and see if they can change the glass and fill with glycol for you if the CRT is still good.

Terry

·
Registered
664 Posts
I sent an email to VDC requesting rebuild prices but never got a reply. This seems like the safest course of action, but you may need to be persistent with them. I can't find reference to VDC web site with AVS search on either 'VDC' or 'MEC'? Good luck!

Could be this....
http://www.vdcdisplaysystems.com/

or this...
http://www.vdcinfodex.com/ ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.