AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The immediate problem is overflowing hard drives from recorded HD transport streams. The very annoying thing is that each hour show is maybe 5-10% too long to fit on a standard DVD (commercials and other extraneous stuff removed). The few attempts I've made at transcoding have resulted in either poor quality or endless runtimes. Looking for suggestions of the best method to either simply recompress the MPEG2 slightly or transcode to another format. I've tried nero digital and had quibbles about the quality (maybe did something wrong or am expecting too much...seeing significant blocking artifacts and color inconsistency). Tried WMV9 and had "endless" runtimes (again maybe did something wrong). Can tolerate 8 hours, but >12hrs is just too much. (Right now using a dual core A64...and not too concerned about being able to play the result since HD DVDs are playing well.) Would strongly like to keep the 1080p broadcast resolution. Main objective is to burn data files to DVD and replay later on the PC. One show per DVD is fine...no desire for huge compression...prefer to retain the quality. Answers as simple as "this is my favorite format and technique is found at this location" gratefully accepted. If there's a way to use the AVIVO x1xxx transcode for this, I haven't found it, but can set up for that.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts