AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting itchy to buy a new HDTV monitor. My question is: If I know how far I plan to sit from the set, how big a 16x9 widescreen TV do I need to purchase? Is there a formula to calculate the optimum size (in diagonal inches) based on the distance between my eye and the screen?

I don't want to buy a monster that makes me feel like I'm sitting on the first row in a movie theater. But then, I want to buy the largest set where I still feel comfortable watching it.

I currently have a 27 inch traditional monitor that I watch from 6 or 7 feet away. While it is okay, I would like something larger now for movies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I read in an earlier post that you take the distance in Feet from the TV and multiply by 6 for the inch screen you need. at 6 feet away you would want a 36 inch tv. I hope I remember that right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do not know any formula but 36 is way too small to me. I have a 56 rptv. The distance is about 6 or something. I hope I had a bigger one. But for non HD program, 56 is big enough.

My 2c

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I believe this has been talked about a number of times. You might want to do a search and see what you find. THere is actually some rule of thumbs but I can't remember what they are and little swamped to go searching for them. However, there is no right rule. 60" at 7 feet might feel wrong for most people but some people think it is ideal.

Having said that.. I am 11' from my 60" and have a cheap seat at 7' with a bad angle and I dont feel it is horriable.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Do your search for past discussions as suggested. We have experienced the "shrinking" phenomenon that you will see has been discussed. Our 65" looked HUGE for about a week but has slowly started "shrinking". It is amazing how adaptive the brain is.

BTW, we sit 12' - 14' away from ours.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Anything over 50" is too big, unless you have some sort of falic complex.

A toshiba 42hdx82 would be near perfect at 7'.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Much of thie size issue has to be balanced with what you are used to. I am replacing my 26" with a 50" as this gives a MUCH larger picture but will be no way close to the home theater impact that many go for - my viewing distance is about 13 feet. For my wife, the 60" or larger was just too much to take - it would dominate a wall. It also depends upon what you are planning to view. In my case, there will still be a lot of regular television and I really do not need to see Dan Rather life size! There is also a possible picture quality trade off if you view a lot of cable or satellite. With the lower quality inputs, a larger screen tends to emphasize the defects. While I would love a 70" screen for DVDs, I have to bend to the wife on this issue.

Pete in Louisiana

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterK
...There is also a possible picture quality trade off if you view a lot of cable or satellite...

Pete in Louisiana

This is almost a guarantee rather than a possibility. Do yourself a favor and condsider this very carefully when weighing all of the info. This is really my only major complaint with my 65" and I knew it going in. Sitting less than 10' away while watching a garbage source on sets as big as you are considering is likely to make you sick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.