AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the screen section...but didn't know if it would be better here...

I've finally been able to get funds for my theater/family room, but we've decided to change where it's going. And due to this point, I'm now facing an issue on screen size.

Max I can get is 92" due to one a bulk head and a sidewall at 92", and the wife doesn't want it fixed to the wall.

Now my question is this, is 92" to big?

I can sit back at least 10-15 feet away. My ceilings are at 7 1/2 feet.

The projector will likely be the Optoma HD20. The projector itself can go back as far as 20 feet if need.

My biggest concern is the one sidewall that runs the right side for about 5-6 feet at this 92" point (image an L shape then another right cut). Will this cause to much light reflections? The walls are dark grey and I have total light control.

My fronts shouldn't be to much of an issue as they will be under the screen as at 92", I'd have enough space to do so.

Any help is truly grateful...been so happy to finally get to this point but don't want to make a mistake making it not enjoyable.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
That's not even close to too big. I sit 15' from a 135" screen and it's perfect and the recommended THX viewing angle for 15'.

Now if you plan to sit 10' away 92" will give you the recommended THX veiwing angle, so really it depends on where you sit.

I personally like the THX viewing angles because I like that big screen feel.

here's a link to a THX viewing calculator
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Nice projector by the way. I have two buddies that own it. I designed one of them's room and we finished it a few weeks ago. Outstanding picture for the money and super bright. You'll want to build a hush box for it IMO, especially with a lower than normal ceiling.

As far as the wall goes...yea you'll probably get some reflection, but if that's where the screen needs to go you'll probably forget the reflection is there once you stop worrying about it and the movie starts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/20827500

As far as the wall goes...yea you'll probably get some reflection, but if that's where the screen needs to go you'll probably forget the reflection is there once you stop worrying about it and the movie starts.

Would I be better off going with a smaller screen, say 80", so it's not as close to the wall...or can I get away with a 92" being only about 6" from the wall (screen that is)?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolan33 /forum/post/20827565

Would I be better off going with a smaller screen, say 80", so it's not as close to the wall...or can I get away with a 92" being only about 6" from the wall (screen that is)?

I'm all for the biggest screen you can get. Heck I had 120" and uped to 135", If my room were longer I'd have gone even bigger. If it were me I'd go with the 92" first and then if the reflection is too much try painting the wall a flat black close to the screen or even cover that section of wall with a light absorbing fabric like felt or something.

If you build your own screen and you decide to go smaller you can do that very easily using the same fabric. Because you're tight on space up front are you going with an acoustic screen? They look nice and clean (no visable speakers) and your speakers will be in their optimal locations for movies.

I used Seymour XD screen and I love it. One of my buddies with the HD20 also has a Seymour 120", all were DIY screens with $20 in wood. The screen should cost you around $200.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
You can drive yourself nuts trying to meet the recommendations. As cdy says, it depends on where you sit. More importantly, where you LIKE to sit. Where do you sit when you go to a theater? Some people LIKE to sit in the front row, some in the middle and some all the way in the back, although they are not usually interested in actually watching the movie, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, do you already have a projector? If so, hang a big white sheet and start trying out different sizes. It's easy to move the sheet around and get the size image you LIKE, not what someone TELLS you.

I was lucky in that I have a 9x12 outdoor screen that I tacked up in my theater. It was basically a wall-to-wall-ceiling-to-floor screen. Then I put a couple of chairs in the seating position, hung the projector and started playing around with image size until we found the one we both liked. Turned out to be 102" scope from about 12'.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 /forum/post/20827620

You can drive yourself nuts trying to meet the recommendations. As cdy says, it depends on where you sit. More importantly, where you LIKE to sit. Where do you sit when you go to a theater? Some people LIKE to sit in the front row, some in the middle and some all the way in the back, although they are not usually interested in actually watching the movie, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, do you already have a projector? If so, hang a big white sheet and start trying out different sizes. It's easy to move the sheet around and get the size image you LIKE, not what someone TELLS you.

I was lucky in that I have a 9x12 outdoor screen that I tacked up in my theater. It was basically a wall-to-wall-ceiling-to-floor screen. Then I put a couple of chairs in the seating position, hung the projector and started playing around with image size until we found the one we both liked. Turned out to be 102" scope from about 12'.

I just ordered the projector today (Tiger Direct..I'm in Canada so choices limited) should be here in about 10 days or so.

I was actually thinking of exactly doing this...holding off on the screen and setting everything up to see...I want to get the biggest I can but still be good for viewing...Can't go the DIY route cause the wife doesn't want it fixed (I would love it mind you) but she plans on the flat later so this is out.

Now do I need an acoustic screen if the speakers will be on the floor below it? Cause at 92" I'll have about a 3 feet space below the screen..

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolan33 /forum/post/20827642

Now do I need an acoustic screen if the speakers will be on the floor below it? Cause at 92" I'll have about a 3 feet space below the screen..

No, but you might also consider a couple of things. Putting the speakers to the sides of the screen and elevate them. Using just two speakers a left and right and a receiver that will create a phantom center channel.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:

I just ordered the projector today (Tiger Direct..I'm in Canada so choices limited) should be here in about 10 days or so.

I was actually thinking of exactly doing this...holding off on the screen and setting everything up to see...I want to get the biggest I can but still be good for viewing...Can't go the DIY route cause the wife doesn't want it fixed (I would love it mind you) but she plans on the flat later so this is out.

You'll want to sit around the 12' + mark so you don't see any screen door or pixelation. At that distance 92" won't be huge, but it will be a nice large screen.

As for acoustic screen.. why not. If you can sit 15' but you're screen is on the small side you'll be sitting closer than 15'. So use that extra space and use it to put your speakers behind the screen. You probably can't find a solid screen that looks as good picture wise as the Seymour for $200.

Also speakers on the floor is a very bad idea. If you recline your seats...guess whats blocking your sound...your feet, the foot rest. I've tested speakers that low and the sound so much better where they should be. I'd definately go acoustic and get those speakers up to ear level.. it will sound so much better. REmember highs and mids (vocals) are very directional. You want the vocals to come form the actors on the screen not the floor.

One other question... when you say you have 92" of room do you mean that's how wide the screen can be? If so a 106" diagonal screen is what your max is, and that's a great size IMO for sitting at 12-13'.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20827670

No, but you might also consider a couple of things. Putting the speakers to the sides of the screen and elevate them. Using just a two speakers a left and right and a receiver that will create a phantom center channel.

I'm going to have the center and the fronts there...and the sub will be off to the other side...

You mean I should avoid this setup?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/20827682

One other question... when you say you have 92" of room do you mean that's how wide the screen can be? If so a 106" diagonal screen is what your max is, and that's a great size IMO for sitting at 12-13'.

I only have 92" space from the wall on the right and the bulkhead that runs from the front to the back of the basement...if the bulkhead wasn't there I'd have no issues.

So I can't fit a casing bigger than the 92"

And as for the Seymour...looking at the dimensions...couldn't even fit it...ugh!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolan33 /forum/post/20827704

I only have 92" space from the wall on the right and the bulkhead that runs from the front to the back of the basement...if the bulkhead wasn't there I'd have no issues.

So I can't fit a casing bigger than the 92"

And as for the Seymour...looking at the dimensions...couldn't even fit it...ugh!

92" between bulk head and opposite wall...So you have room for 106" diagonal screen, right? FWIW i wrap my screens to the edge of my frame and staple to the back, no border all screen. I paint the back wall black so I don't need a screen border.

As for seymour...what dimensions? not sure what you mean by "can't fit it". It's not different than any other screen other than it's acoustic.

material is listed here mid way down under DIY.
http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

·
Registered
17,929 Posts
My advice would be to investigate the DLP large screen RP units from Mitsubishi ..

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:

Can't go the DIY route cause the wife doesn't want it fixed (I would love it mind you) but she plans on the flat later so this is out.

Not sure what that means...Why cant you do a DIY screen?

Quote:

You'll only need an acoustically transparent screen if the speakers are behind it.

Quote:

Seymour AV sells just the material in addition to their fixed frame screens, The material can be cut to any size screen you need and you can make your own frame.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman /forum/post/20827826

Not sure what that means...Why cant you do a DIY screen? .

Screen needs to be pull down or motorized as it will be ceiling mounted...not fixed to the back wall as the wife wants to eventually have a flat panel there. (I know I know....)

As for the dimensions I only have 92" of space from bulkhead to right wall...in total...therefore the casing itself can't pass this total...the Seymour has at min almost 100" for this....

The bulkhead is almost foot and half down from the ceiling so this is why i have to use the space between bulkhead and wall...limiting what I can use

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Yea just noticed you don't want it fixed to the wall. FWIW you can hang your screen on a french cleat system so it can be taken right off in seconds...it hangs like a picture. we hung my buddies on wooden braces 10" off wall and it rested on a stage we built.

If you have to go any smaller than 90" or so I'd go with mgkdragn

and recommend ditching the projector idea for a large 72" rear projection. The benifits of a projector are that you can go much bigger than a conventional TV. YOu'll also have fan noise to deal with which could be solved with building a hush box but you still have to build the screen/ or mount a roll up scree, mount the projector, run cables and whatever else...but it's not worth doing all that if you're not getting the benifit of the big screen.

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Jackals /forum/post/20827915

I was going to recommend the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-Dia...3504048&sr=8-1

I was thinking this one 73" 1/2 the price..
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=M402-7324 ON

but yea that one's BIGGER!

My buddy has one of the 65" mitsubishi's...it has a great picture as long as you stay centered....get a little to the side and it degrades real fast...but that's rear projection technology, still a great TV.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big thing is to get the biggest screen size within my budget range...$1500 CDN.

Projector was the best way to do this. Initially the screen wasn't a concern as I had over 12 feet of wall space but due to a baseboard heater and window, I had to change location.

And as this is not likely my last home, I wanted the possibility to go bigger down the road.

Here's the wall I'm using

·
Registered
17,929 Posts
I'd still strongly recommend the big Mitsu DLP's .. based on your space .. don't forget, you also get 3-D with these units .. I've had the pleasure of setting a few up, and the PQ is simply outstanding ..

@cdy2179 ... most all sets suffer when you are sitting outside the viewing cone .. and projection is no different .. off axis viewing on these Mitsu's is above average, IMO ...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.