AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any experts know if it's alright to project a 100x56 widescreen DVD if I'm sitting roughtly about 14 feets away, or it's too big for the NEC HT-1000 that I'll start to notice the pixels and screen door effect?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
At 96" wide and 14 ft. away I could just begin to make out pixels, with a little effort, in bright areas of the screen. Still, a very nice picture overall, especially with HD sources.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
I think the advise to stay around 100" diagonal is pretty good. That is roughly 92" x 52" and that looks great at 13' ( even as close as 10' ) depending on source material. But I think that I'm pushing it at that size. However, I may be getting pickier since I've been hanging out around here!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I found the HT1000 being very critical to viewing distance: with a 80" wide image, I clearly saw the DMD structure at 11.5 ft away; when passing to 13 ft, the DMD wasn't there at my eyes...

If you watch WS material or HD, my advice is using a 16:9 screen and put any 4:3 format inside the 16:9. You'll lose something in terms of dimension, but will gain a lot from light control outside the DMD structure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i am not sure what your viewing standards are, I am no videophile but I have a HT1000 and about a 100"+ width screen and I see great dvd viewing with no issues about about 14'7" from the first row of seats.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ajoy
i am not sure what your viewing standards are, I am no videophile but I have a HT1000 and about a 100"+ width screen and I see great dvd viewing with no issues about about 14'7" from the first row of seats.
This is why this is a great hobby! You are in Virgina, I'm in Rome: not the same place, not the same results! Who's right? Anyone who's getting a beautiful (according to his own tastes) image! :p

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
At 1.5x (80" wide screen and my eyes at 120"), I can just barely start to see pixelation in text. But only text. It disappears in a movie image.

And for me 1.5x is about the optimal picture size anyway. Don't much

care for anything bigger.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.