AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old tv died (yippee!! ... opps, I mean, darn it all):). Anyway, I want to replace it with a big tv. Really big. So darned big that the neighbors say, "wow that's big". But then reality strikes.

I think that a RPTV is the way for me. Self contained and such. I also think the LCD or DLP is for me, no burn in issues.

But there are two basic questions haunting me.

1. How big is too big?

2. How high should the stand be.

My primary viewing distance is 14 feet (I had to use binoculars to see my 32 inch set. :)). The secondary viewing positions, where I won't be sitting, are 8 to 12 feet. I've seen a few things online, and think that 60 inches is probably ok. There will be a fair amount of SD watching, at least for the next few months. Also, my DTV and DVD player have S-video outputs only.

Many of the sets I've looked at have optional stands. These stands fit the form of the sets, but they don't look particularly good at holding components. Are these stands ok? Or, should I buy a third party stand?

If anyone's seen my other post (the one where I'm having a nervous breakdown about which type of tv to buy) , then you'd know that I might buy a Sammy 61 inch, with a thought of switching to the Panny 50LC13 if there are any problems. Which stand looks good with both?

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
One of the post in a Hitachi thread revealed that there really is an issue when you display much 4:3 content on their sets. I think the recommendation was that you keep 4:3 viewing under 15%. This was confirmed by a Hitachi rep. It creates some kind of fixed pattern thing that as far as I'm concerned is the same thing as CRT phospher burn. Is this issue common to Panny, well, who knows.

In the DLP arena, you have RCA, Optima and Zenith coming out with their models. The writeup on the RCA mentions tweaks on the colorwheel and bit rate to all but eliminate the rainbow effect. This might also help with headaches, etc.

If what you want is the lack of burnin, then I'd think a DLP is your primary option with a LCD or CRT with a good stretch mode as a very good plan B.

When you consider that you can get a good 65" RPTV(refined technology) with a good stretch mode for 3K, I'm wondering if the other options (new technology) make much sense.

Also consider how good any of these sets reproduce SD. The act that gave the digital channel bandwidth didn't say that the broadcasters had to transmit HD. Since the broadcasters can get 3 digital SD channels in the space of 1 HD channel, don't be too surprised if we ultimately wide up with many more digital channels and only a few HD channels. If we ultimately wide up with this situation, having a set that does top notch SD will be important.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Go check out the rptvs you are interested in at the showrooms, get a chair and watch them at your closest and furthest distances. Make sure the salesperson switches to a SD source, very important!

BTW, I'm 14' away from a 64" pioneer 730, so you should be fine. As far as stand height, I would think that you would want to go just high enough, so that if your feet were on the coffee table or foot rest, they would not block vision of the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jngf
There will be a fair amount of SD watching, at least for the next few months. Also, my DTV and DVD player have S-video outputs only.

Many of the sets I've looked at have optional stands. These stands fit the form of the sets, but they don't look particularly good at holding components. Are these stands ok? Or, should I buy a third party stand?
If you go with a RPTV, then burn-in might be a problem. So, you will probably want to watch 4:3 SD programming stretched to 16:9. Given that, check out the various ways the set can stretch 4:3 to 16:9. There seems to be a lot of differences between manufacturers. Find one you like. Personally, I liked Toshiba, but your tastes might lead you elsewhere.

I am using an enclosed coffee table. I found the standard 18" height of a coffee table to be just about right. Plus, I was able to get one to match the decor of the room (if you don't care, possibly your S.O. does care). It fits a lot more equipment than the more expensive optional stand.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
jngf:

Although there are several formulas for distance, the one I used in my media room was two times the diagonal measurement (widescreen). For my 50" DLP, we sit eight feet away. With an HD signal or a DVD (from a DVI-output DVD player), I can sit four feet away and the PQ is still great.

As for height, you want your eyes level with the middle of the screen.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've read the DLPs don't have a wide vertical viewing range before image brightness drops off so as mnilan suggested, target "zero head tilt".

If you do a search on "poll" you'll find actuals from DLP owners - nobody was really lower than a 1.75 ratio so your occasional 8 foot viewing spot would be OK for a 60" TV. At 14 feet you'll be at 2.80 which will help SD content.

Ken

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Unless you are 100% positive that you can't even out your vieing habits for burn in, check out the 73" mitsubishi or go for the 82" LCoS that Mitsubishi has and forget about burn in.

If I was your neighbor I'd be coming over daily to watch tv on that HUMONGOUS screen.

:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the Panasonic 50" LC13 with a viewing distance of about 8', and the set is starting to not look so big anymore.... although for SDTV on Tivo viewing, I probably wouldn't wanna sit any closer than I am now. I'd think that at 14' away, even the largest production RPTV would still not be too big.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.