AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my HTPC. I just did a OS install from scratch. My copy of Windows XP being only an upgrade I need to install Windows 98SE first and then Windows XP. I allocated 3 gig on my HTPC just for my OS. After everything is install I am stuck with only 300 meg left? When I check to find out were all that space is needed I can find only about 1.5 gig of files. What wrong? Is my disk corrupt? Do I have a partition that just can't work? Scandisk doesn't report anything wrong.

My Hard disk is formated in Fat32 not NTFS, I erase the uninstall of WindowsXP that gave me 240 meg. But I can find any mor files to delete. I have only Winzip, Dscaler, DVDGenie, PowerDVD XP, Theatertek, Zoomplayer install on that 3 gig partition.

Thanks!

Bruno

·
Registered
412 Posts
No OS on box before install, selected all the defaults and it is 2.25 GB (780 mb page file and 523 mb hiberfil included,) XP without the two files is about 1.01 GB when viewed in explorer.

So it is pretty big all by itself.

If you disable the hibernation feature on XP, you should be able to delete the hiberfil.sys without any problems. You do this by going into control panel, performance and maintenance, power options properties, and selecting never under system hibernates.

Robert van der Veer

·
Registered
151 Posts
XP might have created a temp file with the WIN98 files in case you wanted to restore the 98 install. When I install my XP upgrade, all I have to do during the install is insert the 98 disk to verify I own a full copy of 9x. I also use a 3 gig partition for the OS and at the moment (having Office 2000 installed also) I have 1.7 gigs free.

Look for the sizes of the temp folders, or try to reinstall XP without installing 98 first.

My .02

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmark
XP might have created a temp file with the WIN98 files in case you wanted to restore the 98 install. When I install my XP upgrade, all I have to do during the install is insert the 98 disk to verify I own a full copy of 9x. I also use a 3 gig partition for the OS and at the moment (having Office 2000 installed also) I have 1.7 gigs free.

Look for the sizes of the temp folders, or try to reinstall XP without installing 98 first.

My .02

Mark
We did the same thing. It's just that I formated my disk, then install windows 98SE to have an OS on that machine then I did an upgrade with XP. What ever is talking that space in not visible with explorer. :(

Bruno

·
Registered
41 Posts
bgosselin

I believe that mrmark is saying that it is not necessary to install Win98SE before installing XP, regardless of the fact it is an upgrade product.

XP installation is much easier that many people realize. Just boot from the CD-ROM (check your bios to make sure your machine will try to boot from the CDROM drive) and then you can partion as needed and have XP format the partition before installing anything. I STRONGLY recommend NTFS for an XP machine.

XP will promt you at some point during the installation process to remind you that you are installing an Upgrade OS, and ask you to insert a "qualifying product" for verification. Eject XP, insert the 98SE CD, and take it from there.

This will alleviate the issue of XP saving your entire 98 installation, which it invariably does.

Hope this helps you out some. It will at least save you a lot of time when you do OS installations from your XP disc.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I tried that. I will diskimage my current config first because for once my DVD playback is really smooth. :)

Bruno

·
Registered
332 Posts
Every PC I have has at least a 10 gig partition just for XP. After you use it for awhile, you'll find the "used" space growing. Faster for a multi-purpose PC than dedicated HTPC perhaps, but growing nonetheless. On THIS machine I have 3.25 gig free AND I run disk cleanup periodically. I really think that 15 to even 20 gig might be ideal.

Remember that any drive runs faster when it has as much free space as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.