AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My goal is to create a poor man's 3D IMAX (large immersive 3D).

I originally was looking at an Epson 3500, but saw the 5030 for $450 more. I decided on the 5030 for the better blacks.

I have a large wall that is 112"h x 160"w, which I would like to fill. The projector will sit 17' back, which at full zoom will give about 177" diagonal. Calculator says with a 1.1 gain screen, the projector should produce 15FL, at full zoom.

I found a STR-169175 Silver Ticket 175" which is 160.5" wide (need to remeasure the wall for that missing .5").

I did think of just painting, but I don't own the wall, so I don't want to invest too much into it (plus I'm not into DIY anyway).

I don't want to spend too much on this (no more then $600). Ideas? Am I going too big? Sitting distance will be between 9'-11'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
According to the projectorcentral calculator, the best I can do is: a throw of 14'17" for a 150 screen, at 16fl. That should work fine for 2D, but not 3D. So for 3D, I would have to move up the projector to 12'2" throw for 125" screen, at 23fl.

This seems like a real pain. Is there no better way?

·
Registered
19,088 Posts
Seeing people say 150" might be an issue with screen door effect. Looking now into 135" screen.

That's a better size choice. Myself, even that size from 9' would be pretty big. Can you stretch a white sheet on the wall with thumb tacks and test it out prior to committing to a size? That is what I'd recommend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts