AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My distance from the seating area to the screen is around 7-8 feet. I was thinking of getting the Philips 55PP9502. Is this size good for that distance?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think this is subjective. My ears are 7 and a half feet from my 57". I love it even ;though i have only DVD and standard satellite feed for programing. The picture could be clearer on regular TV but that will come with HDTV. Until that is practical here and I will make do and be happy that I have the size for dvd's. Just my opinion.

Emmett

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well of course it is subjective .. i assume the origal poster will realize my answer was all subjective. There are no absolutes.

However especially watching SDTV the farther away you are the better, a 57" tv at 7.5 looks absolutely horrid .. yes i know this from personal experience, you can see every single artifact at this distance and it is most disturbing. The same set at 12" looks very very good.

The larger the TV screen, the larger the pixels, the larger the pixels, the farther away you can see said pixels, this amplifies every artifact and problem on every frame of any content you watch. Why do that to yourself ? Can you watch a 57" tc from 5 week away ? Of course you can .. but if you are looking for optimal viewing distance to really "see" the best possible picture at the best possible size, i use 2x the screen size 55" *2 = 110" = 9.2 feet. Again .. yes this is subjective .. but i can see artifacts at the "1.5* screen size" that i can't see at 2* .. at 2* everything looks as it should and is my personal, humble recomendation .. not a fact.

·
Registered
859 Posts
SMTPE recommended viewing distance of a 55" diagonal 16:9 screen is 7.6 feet. This will allow for a 30 degree subtended viewing angle, which will allow you to percieve the screen as being truly large. If you go by visual acuity, then you won't be able to see all the detail in a 1920x1080 signal much beyond 7.2 feet. You could get 19 feet away and still resolve all the detail in NTSC. Calculation courtesy of this site: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

Obviously this is another subjective recommendation, my advice would be to stand 7-8 feet from the tv you plan to buy with a signal you'll be watching quite often and see if you like it or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.