AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's the worst place to mount a TV but the make-up of the room makes it the only choice.

Now, understanding that, how big of a TV could I go with. Would a 65" work? The Samsung I'm looking at is 57.1" wide x 33.4" long. Would this work If I were to also do a center speaker below?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,447 Posts
If the fireplace is decorative and does not produce heat or smoke, I think a 70-in TV would be the largest I would place there. You might find that is a bit larger than you are comfortable with for the viewing distance, so you may want to measure off the distance from fireplace to where one would be viewing the TV from, and go to a brick-and-mortar store and view various sizes from that viewing distance. (I paced off the distance at home, and paced off the distance at the store before even looking at the screen when I purchased my first large TV. My friend thought the TV would be too large, but it worked out great while the TV lasted, and its replacement is just a few inches larger.)

If the TV is to be viewed from sitting down, having the TV tilted down a bit and having recliners (or at least seat backs that tilt back) so one can watch the TV with the neck straight and eyes straight forward and seeing the TV straight on would be nice; one doesn't want to get a kink in the neck just because of the viewing angle.

If the fireplace is a live fireplace that produces heat, I'm not so sure I would want to use the fireplace to bake sensitive electronics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. The builder and developer of the condo development assured me a TV is safe to mount over the fireplace. I think I'll install a heatshield into the mantle as well. The good news is that there's not a lot of
Heat which gets generated.

I measured the couch distance(I have a brown sectional) and the farthest distance is
12 feet away, and that's with about a foot of space behind the sofa from the wall as well.

I'm thinking of going with a 4k TV but at that distance, I'm not sure I'll notice the difference in quality.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
It's also almost always too high for proper viewing unless mounted on a swiveling stand that can point it down to your viewing position.

Ideal is the middle of the screen should be directly at eye level when your head is facing straight ahead in your chosen seating position.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
IMHO, a TV should NEVER be placed on top of a fireplace. It will result in nothing but discomfort while watching.
+1000

Should be near eye level when sitting. Up high is a big mistake.
I've always said the same thing and advised friends and family to not mount above the fireplace. Of course, they all do but none of them seem to complain about it. Maybe I'm missing the boat on something.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I have warned other as well but they have told me later that I was right. Some have moved the set to another wall in the room or to another room. Other claim to not have any option and have left it where it is. It is their place so I leave it at that. I don't watch the TV when I am there.

·
Registered
361 Posts
As to the original question, I would put a 65" panel on this mount http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...lack/9881868.p?id=1218188548973&skuId=9881868.
I have to agree with the viewing height issue though, I have a panel mounted high in my game room, but find viewing much more comfortable with the eye level set in my livingroom. If you don't have a choice to put the tv at eye level a tilting mount will help. I wouldn't worry too much about heat. The wall will remain cool because modern chimney flues are designed to insulate and I have friends with live plants on their mantles that don't dry out because of heat, it goes right to the ceiling.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I too have never liked watching a tv when it's mounted over a fireplace or high up on the wall. I like them at eye level..

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you lie back in a lounge chair, the viewing angle is not a problem. It is a problem when you have more people than lounge chairs.

Many living areas with fireplaces are simply not large enough or configured to dedicate another wall to a TV/entertainment center. There would be little room left for furniture. I guess what people should do in this situation is watch TV on their iphones, or in another room that doesn't have a fireplace - it's never explained what people should do in the thousands of articles that say never put a tv above a fireplace.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Thanks for the comments. The builder and developer of the condo development assured me a TV is safe to mount over the fireplace. I think I'll install a heatshield into the mantle as well. The good news is that there's not a lot of Heat which gets generated.
The vast majority of the heat generated by the typical fireplace goes up the flue, and the wall above the mantle mostly just gets warm, not actually hot. Most TVs have a minimum and maximum operating temperature rating in the specs so check that. Panasonic Plasmas for instance rated their TVs for use above a fireplace up to temperatures of 104F. You should place a thermometer where the TV will be mounted and see how warm or hot it actually gets there, then check the specs on your TV candidates.

Here is a nifty mount that lowers the TV downward:

http://www.wallmountworld.com/Fireplace-TV-Mount-30-vertical-travel-p/wmw-pull-down.htm

-------------------------

Reactions: sooke

·
Registered
31 Posts
people put it above fireplace because it's awkward to set up tv in the living room. Movable tv mounts for 70+ TVs are pricey. I didn't do it cause of cost and taking the dry wall out. trying to figure out all the wiring. Tv above the eye level. we could have so much more room if we get rid off fireplace. It's useful in case of emergency but what the heck do we burn it with? Most ppl don't have burning woods in the house. I think I used my fireplace 4-5times and it was A MESS. ash everywhere, cleaning was MEH, getting carpet dirty.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We heat full time with our fireplace (I keep my house at 80 degrees- yes 80 lol!)
It's been up there for 5 years. Our only other option is on a wall that reflects the window. I never noticed any issues and watch comfortably except if I'm eating and need to look at both. It's only 42". But this is why we have a theater.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
doesn't it cost more to heat homes? someone has to be putting firewood every few hours. I can't do that lol. If it was cost efficient I can see the point of firewood but I don't see the advantage. Is there a reason you heat using fireplace?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The vast majority of the heat generated by the typical fireplace goes up the flue, and the wall above the mantle mostly just gets warm, not actually hot. Most TVs have a minimum and maximum operating temperature rating in the specs so check that. Panasonic Plasmas for instance rated their TVs for use above a fireplace up to temperatures of 104F. You should place a thermometer where the TV will be mounted and see how warm or hot it actually gets there, then check the specs on your TV candidates.

Here is a nifty mount that lowers the TV downward:

http://www.wallmountworld.com/Fireplace-TV-Mount-30-vertical-travel-p/wmw-pull-down.htm

-------------------------
I found another nice mount but it's pricy. Http://www.dynamicmounting.com

I'm going to do probably go with them for the convenience

1 - 20 of 21 Posts