AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently, I have a Pioneer VSX-90 - 100 watts per channel (.08 THD at 20hz-20khz)
I am running a 5.2.1 Atmos setup with the following:

A Pioneer SP-EC73 center speaker
(140 Watts/4 Ohms/45hz-20khz)

2-Pioneer Atmos-enabled bookshelf speakers SP-EBS73 LR For the front and overhead channels
(140 Watts/4 Ohms/50hz-20khz)

2-Bowers and Wilkins M1 satellite speakers (Newest Version) for the rears
(100 Watts/8 Ohms/64hz-23khz +-3db)

An SVS Pb-2000 Subwoofer 17hz-260hz

All 7 channels are set to an 80 hz crossover

After running MCACC, I have raised the volume to -13db without any audible distortion or excessive heat from the receiver. My room is a medium sized room.

My questions are, at an 80hz crossover, can I push the receiver a bit louder or to reference? When people on this forum suggest heavy power amps, don't they mean for full-range speaker set-ups? How big of an effect does crossover have on power requirements? I just got the receiver and love the sound, but I want to make sure it is sufficient before I keep it. I do have 5 channels running 4 ohm speakers, so I know that requires more.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Currently, I have a Pioneer VSX-90 - 100 watts per channel (.08 THD at 20hz-20khz)
I am running a 5.2.1 Atmos setup with the following:

A Pioneer SP-EC73 center speaker
(140 Watts/4 Ohms/45hz-20khz)

2-Pioneer Atmos-enabled bookshelf speakers SP-EBS73 LR For the front and overhead channels
(140 Watts/4 Ohms/50hz-20khz)

2-Bowers and Wilkins M1 satellite speakers (Newest Version) for the rears
(100 Watts/8 Ohms/64hz-23khz +-3db)

An SVS Pb-2000 Subwoofer 17hz-260hz

All 7 channels are set to an 80 hz crossover

After running MCACC, I have raised the volume to -13db without any audible distortion or excessive heat from the receiver. My room is a medium sized room.

My questions are, at an 80hz crossover, can I push the receiver a bit louder or to reference? When people on this forum suggest heavy power amps, don't they mean for full-range speaker set-ups? How big of an effect does crossover have on power requirements? I just got the receiver and love the sound, but I want to make sure it is sufficient before I keep it. I do have 5 channels running 4 ohm speakers, so I know that requires more.
bump

·
Registered
596 Posts
LCR Below 80Hz May Overload Amp

Your LCRs have a relatively low sensitivity (85 dB) as well as low impedance (4 ohms). This means they are going to pull a lot of current from your receiver.

Your concerns are legitimate. At reference or near-reference listening levels, you are certainly giving your speakers and receiver a good workout. At these levels, LF below 80 Hz fed into your LCRs is likely produce distortion or magic blue smoke. With a setup like yours (bookshelf LCRs, receiver-grade amplification) it's best to let your receiver's bass management redirect everything below 80 Hz to your subwoofer.

I can't say I'm citing any specific scientific evidence to backup my advice, other than: THX receivers are required to fix all channels except the subwoofer with an 80 Hz crossover when in THX mode. If it is good enough for THX, it is probably good enough for your system.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I can share one thing I ran into

I was watching Star Wars, and during the famous come out of hyper-whatever into the destroyed planet, my speakers overloaded. Not all speakers would do that, but mine did. I learned that my speakers needed an 80 hz crossover to ensure they would never overload.

A lot of speakers could probably handle 60hz with no issues. But I can attest to the horrible sound my speakers made with a 60 hz crossover. Let the sub woofer handle 80 hz and down, that's what it's good at ( or should be IMO.)

I can also state that 80 hz was a standard of sorts from the THX spec years ago, but things have changed a bit since way back then

1 - 4 of 4 Posts