AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Disney is absolutely HUGE for any format. They are the most important studio in terms of sales. It's the only studio that people ask for by name. It will really help Blu-ray take a quick and sustained lead in the "Soccer Mom" market and children's market. Disney's importance can not be underestimated.

~Josh

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I'm not a Disney fan. I sure didn't buy a Blu player because of Disney. That never entered my mind.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The deciding factor in getting the PS3 for the Blu Ray player was knowing Disney would be releasing this year; I guess having a 4 year old also factors in. Gotta keep the family happy if I wanna keep the upgrades coming!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Don't forget the Miramax titles, which are among the best movies of the past 15 years or so (Pulp Fiction, Shakespeare in Love, the Three Colors trilogy). Due to demographics we may have to wait for some of them, but they will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I must admit I like having access to the Disney titles. It wasn't one of the main reasons I got blu-ray, but it does help in the selection of titles. Pearl Harbor was excellent and I can't wait for the Pixar stuff.

·
Premium Member
24,269 Posts
I would be more happy if they started releasing Cars, Finding Nemo, Pirates (not the adult flicks), Incredibles and of course Lion King... Now that would be cool reference material!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you think kids are going to notice a difference or even care between SD and HD versions of their favorite Disney movies? Are parents willing to rebuy HD versions of Disney classics they've already recently purchased on DVD from the last three years? Are parents going to spend over a grand on a Blu-Ray player and Disney Blu-Ray discs when they have a perfectly good standard (or even up-converting) dvd player and SD-DVDs at home. Of course they are. But only a very small minority will. Disney support certaintly won't hurt. But it won't help much either.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalgrand /forum/post/0

Do you think kids are going to notice a difference or even care between SD and HD versions of their favorite Disney movies? Are parents willing to rebuy HD versions of Disney classics they've already recently purchased on DVD from the last three years? Are parents going to spend over a grand on a Blu-Ray player and Disney Blu-Ray discs when they have a perfectly good standard (or even up-converting) dvd player and SD-DVDs at home. Of course they are. But only a very small minority will. Disney support certaintly won't hurt. But it won't help much either.

That's a good point. If i'm buying a movie for my Son that I have no interest in watching myself then I'm probably going to save money and buy the DVD. If it's a movie that I'm likely to watch on my own like most Pixar movies I'm getting the HD version.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I think it will be very hard to resist re-buying the Disney and Pixar classics even though I have seen little visible improvement with animation on high definition so far. In my opinion, animation won't benefit as much by high definition. I watched Monster House on My PS3 in Blu-Ray and Cars on SD DVD on my Toshiba HD A-1. You know what? Cars looked just as good if not better. But as some have already pointed out, Disney produced some terrific live-action films as well. I recently watched Eight Below on Blu-ray and it was both a great film and a great transfer.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hickey /forum/post/0

Don't forget that Disney includes Pixar, Touchstone, Hollywood, Miramax and Dimension films also. It's not just Disney animated films.

I knew that and it goes beyond that. They have a huge flock of satelite studios. The one you mentioned are just the bigger ones.

I've been collecting movies for a long time and I've never developed an affinity for Disney studios. In the LD and DVD days they sclocked so many releases that I mostly ignored them. You can't hide behind vdeo noise and analog limatations here in the HD age.

I'll proably buy more Disney stuff in the future as long as they pass mustard on the shlock-o-meter. Other than Dinosaur, I've been pleased so far.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.