Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait for the Blu ray to become available

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK you walk into your local video store looking for the latest epic action flick. To your dismay all of the BD copies are rented. What do you do?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,402 Posts
I didn't vote because it is sometimes one, sometimes the other, depending on the title.

$1 DVDs at Redbox are pretty seductive.

If the film was forgettable (as so many are) I have to check my notes to see if I saw it on DVD or Blu-ray.

-Bill

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree /forum/post/16909988

OK you walk into your local video store looking for the latest epic action flick. To your dismay all of the BD copies are rented. What do you do?

You question posed is pretty "old school"

Many here, myself incl. rent online from Netflix or Blockbuster. I rent from Netflix w/ Blu-ray media as primary source in my queue. So if movie is not available, next movie on list is sent.

I haven't been to a local video store in a long, long time. Too expensive, too little choices & too much hassle...

Many of the Blu-ray choices are crap IMO, so I often rent SD DVD for better quality content older/ independent/ etc. movies. I have an Oppo BDP-83 that has excellent upcoversion capabilities that is reasonably close to Blu-ray quality, so no big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Brick & mortar video stores still exist?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcorolla /forum/post/16910074

You question posed is pretty "old school"

Many here, myself incl. rent online from Netflix or Blockbuster. I rent from Netflix w/ Blu-ray media as primary source in my queue. So if movie is not available, next movie on list is sent.

I haven't been to a local video store in a long, long time. Too expensive, too little choices & too much hassle...

True, but the same situation exists on-line as well. Lets assume the BD says "long wait" vs "Available" for DVD.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I'm not the only BD snob out there.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
whine, cry, stamp my feet, rail loudly "if hddvd had won the format war, this wouldn't have happened, sony is evil, waaaaaaah!!!!!".....

seriously though... realistically, if it's something that i wanted to see that bad, i probably would have pre-ordered it from the big river anyway...
for what it costs to rent it, you don't really lose much by buying it and turning around and selling it for a "reasonable" price... plus that way you know it hasn't been manhandled by someone else first...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The only DVD I've purchased in the last 3 years for myself is the Criterion version of Brazil. It's one of my favorite movies and I must own it.

Other than that, there's nothing that can't wait for blu.

·
Registered
559 Posts
when i rent i always rent the dvd (don't want to spend the extra dollar every time i rent), if i like the movie enough to buy i buy it on blu. i get most of my movies from netflix and i get them on dvd also cause sometimes i get some that a friend wants to see and i let them borrow it and they don't have a blu ray player yet. i'm not one of those that refuses to watch a dvd now since blu rays came out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If I haven't seen the movie, I'll take rent out the DVD version. If the movie is very good or better, I buy the blu-ray! Between Blu and red, over 400 and counting.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I don't rent. If i did then i guess i would personally wait for the Blu-ray to be available. Hell i'm doing that for some TV Series right now (Breaking Bad)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree /forum/post/16910088

True, but the same situation exists on-line as well. Lets assume the BD says "long wait" vs "Available" for DVD.

with the exception of catalog releases it's usually the other way around

more DVD only subscribers means a longer line to get the DVD copy

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
these days buying new movies on DVD (SD) is simply a waste of money... especially when spending so much money on your HT equipment...

its like buying a Porche or a Ferrari and having the smallest engine or

or like spending $100,000 on a car and complaining gas prices are high...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts