Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a projector rather than a RPTV for use with an HTPC (due to the image scaling problems associated with the RPTV screen sizes). However, the display will be used to watch television programing during the day as well. I would say approximately 80-90% of the viewing will be in the evening or at night but it will definitely be used for at least an hour of viewing during the day. I can reduce light in the room (using blinds) to about that of a low-intensity halogen lamp at night. How bright a projector do I need? Also, how can I get an idea of the difference between say a 800 lumen and a 1000 lumen projector? How does this equate to RPTVs? and finally...Is going with a projector the better choice for my situation or should I get a RPTV?

Thank you for your help,

Kirk

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I'd say you probably wont even notice the difference between 800 - 1000 lumens. Plus, Manufacturers lumen claims vary greatly!

you need to demo some units at a home theater shop then ask them to turn the lights on and stuff. Only seeing with your own eyes can truly describe if you'll be satisfied.

I'd suggest in your case 1000 or more lumens. But there are many other variables like screen size, gain of screen, etc etc etc.

If you can solve this puzzle though I suspect you will have a very enjoyable home "theater" experience.

------------------

Tryg Hoff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.