AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanna know if anyone has properly measured the ht1000 in 16:9 mode and after correct calibration how bright it is

I went and had another look at one yesterday it it seemed a little dim and i as wondering what the acceptable FTL is for a dark room but a room which has a white roof and cream walls and what the ht1000 is putting out in that type of room

ive heard that the ideal ranges from 13-19 FTL , so how does one work this out and what tools are used to measure the brightness ?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have mine set up in an all white room and I'm driving a 92inch wide screen with 1.5 gain fabric. No lack of punch that I can see, jaws dropping are the norm amoung the visitors. :D I run in low power mode. Once in a while I swap to the high power setting but it doesn't add enough to make it worthwhile. I have good light control. I have no doubt the image would be better if I painted the room black but seeing as it's also my living room I just haven't been able to convince the spousal unit that it's a good idea. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glenn, What type is your fabric and where di you get it ?, whats the viewing cone like , ? does it hotspot ?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I read the stereophile review and they measured only 12 ft L on a 80" wide firehawk. 9.6 ft L with the iris closed. So I guess if you go wider than this screen you better have a screen with a gain higher than 1.5

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 FT-L aint exactly bright , this is the only negative thing i have to say about the ht1000 and one that might lead me to something such as the sp5700, is there anyting i can do to get the brightness up to the high teens on a 87" wide screen ?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i have no way of measuring it, but i'm projecting on a diy screen made of blackout cloth, with a screen width of 68".

i turned a floor lamp on (probably a 75 watt bulb- with a shade) and went upstairs to get something.

as i hit the stairs, i turned back and looked at the room-

the light was illuminating well enough for someone in the two chairs by it to read by-easily- and the image on the screen about 11-12' away still had considerable punch and the colors were still pretty vibrant.

i'm sure there are many brighter pjs out there, but i would say someone could easily enjoy the picture from this with ambient light in the room, as long as it wasn't shining in towards the screen.

not as nice as full darkness, but completely watchable.

jmo, ymmv, of course.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Quote:
Glenn, What type is your fabric and where di you get it ?, whats the viewing cone like , ? does it hotspot ?
It's Dalite's Video Spectra fabric. There's no hotspotting and it does have a surprisingly wide viewing angle. My only complaint is that I should have purchased the tensioned version as it does have some slight waves which are apparent in bright mono-colored scenes like blue skies. That's my one regret. It is an angular reflective fabric and best suited to ceiling mounted projection. In case you think the waves are huge, I should point out that I'm the only one who sees the waves. AVS training has it's downside. :)

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I have an 84" wide 16:9 screen, and was using blackout cloth with the Davis DLS8 projector I was using. Plenty bright.

I now have the HT1000, and run it in eco mode. If I have the iris shut, then it is a little dimmer than the Davis was, so in order to get the equivalent brightness, I thought I'd try some 1.2 gain material. I'd read that some people noticed a considerable difference between 'real' screen material, and blackout cloth, so this was a good excuse to buy some. I'd used avia to set the white and black levels correct, and this makes a difference to brightness.

It's now about s bright as it was, but other than that, I can't see any difference between the blackout cloth and screen material. There are various types of blcakout cloth, so maybe that explains why some had better results than others.

HTH

Gary.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
HT-mag measured it a 15.7ftl on their 72" Stewart Sudio Tech 1.3 gain. They also measured the black level at .032ftl which was the best they ever measured for a DLP.

Sadly you can't have both, as you get brighter you start losing black. The Marantz is only at 700ansi and has very good blacks. The 12s2 owner who was over said the HT1000 was good amount brighter then his departed 12s2.

Don't think the NEC isn't bright. It's way brighter than the LT150, Z90, Sim2 HT200, and Sharp Z9000 I had.

Go back for another test and get the remote. I'll be it was set at gamma Dynamic.

Hit the picture button on the remote and on the menu toggle down to user 1.

Set user 1 to movie and choose gamma black detail. That ought to brighten it up. Also if they're using a interlaced player take look at the black level and contrast enhancements. If they're using an interlaced signal and have the black enhancements down to 1 this could be why it seems dim, also if they're using dynamic gamma. Hope you can check it out.

ps, any changes you make, make sure as you exit you hit the ok box. If not the changes revert back to what they were.

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with Tom.

The HT1000 is bright enough. I run the projector in econo mode and iris closed on a 84" screen, and I am very happy with the black levels and peak white brightness.

Personelly, I would not want greater lumen output unless there was also additional control applied to projected black.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I'm using HTPC and DVI so there are few adjustments left as you know, and I have the gamma set to natural. Using the black detail gamma setting to brighten up the image will crush whites and bring out some digital noise, so I stick with the natural setting. Use a scene with clouds in it and you'll see how much sky detail you'll lose.

Using high contrast is good for hiding black and dark area mpeg blocking as it seems to crush blacks, so hide any digital noise that may be in the darker areas. This was useful when I used WinDVD as my software player as this seemed to bring out too much detail - including lots of mosquito noise. PowerDVD XP and 5 are much better in this respect, so it isn't needed.

I think in my case, as I was used to a certain amount of brightness, so opted for a slight gain and kill two birds. I seem to remember calculating the ft lamberts at around 15 with my size screen (dimensions are viewable without masking), taking into account the 16:9 screen mode with the Davis. Having the HT1000 in eco mode/iris shut required a 1.2 gain screen for similar results.

Gary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.