AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house came with a built-in surround sound system. All five speakers are installed in the wall. They all look and sound the same to my eyes and ears - I don't think the center is any different from the left and right or surrounds.

I think they sound pretty decent, but I really want to buy a sub that will go well with them. I can I tell what speakers I have?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
it does not make any difference, the sub does not have to "match" the surrounds.

An in-wall subwoofer can be a pricey item, but you can use a stand alone unit in the room, and it will work fine with what you have.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
CAREFULLY remove one of the grills, take some close-up pictures, and post them here. Somebody will know what they are, unless they're generic.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Like was said above, it doesn't matter what brand they are because a sub will work with whatever you have.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/18251057

CAREFULLY remove one of the grills, take some close-up pictures, and post them here. Somebody will know what they are, unless they're generic.

Sorry for the noob question... but how do I get the covers off

I realize they don't have to "match" - that was probably the wrong word. I know any sub will work. But I'm sure some combos work together a bit better than others. And I'm sure knowing the wattage of my speakers will help knowing how much sub I need... or am I way off base?

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18252183

I realize they don't have to "match" - that was probably the wrong word. I know any sub will work. But I'm sure some combos work together a bit better than others. And I'm sure knowing the wattage of my speakers will help knowing how much sub I need... or am I way off base?

I think you're "way off base." I really don't think it makes any difference what brand or how many watts the speakers will handle. the sub is an entirely different entity and doesn't have to match anything else, unless it is the furniture.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:

I don't know. That depends upon WHAT BRAND OF SPEAKERS THEY ARE!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Okay, sirius...If you can't figure out how to pry the grill off without ruining it, take a picture of the speaker close up and post it. We may be able to tell what it is. If you shoot the picture straight on, the flash might light up the drivers behind the grill.

If the grills are perforated metal, you can take a small pick and gradually ease the grill out by inserting it into the perforation holes near the edge. Do this little by little at the perimeter or you'll bend the grill.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/18252221

I don't know. That depends upon WHAT BRAND OF SPEAKERS THEY ARE!

LOL... I'm an idiot

The grill is perforated metal. I'll try what you said. Even if it doesn't matter what kind of speakers I have in regards to buying a sub, I would still like to know what I have.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18252331

LOL... I'm an idiot

The grill is perforated metal. I'll try what you said. Even if it doesn't matter what kind of speakers I have in regards to buying a sub, I would still like to know what I have.

Thanks!

Just pulling your leg, Woody.
I am curious as to what they are. It would be nice to know if they're sonic horror shows, or maybe something (surprise) really nice. As most inwall grills look about the same, you could have a $39.95 speaker back there, or something worth $400.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright... got the grill off.

I can take a pic, but I'm guessing just the info will be enough for you guys:

Niles

Blueprint Series in-wall loudspeakers

MP525

So, what's the verdict?

·
Registered
109 Posts
here are the specs

SPECIFICATIONS

FREQUENCY

RESPONSE

Plus or Minus 3dB

MP525: 65 Hz to 20 kHz

RECOMMENDED

AMPLIFIER POWER

MP525: 5 to 60 watts

SENSITIVITY

89 dB 2.83V @ 1 meter.

IMPEDANCE

8 Ohms nominal

HEIGHT X WIDTH

(With frame)

MP525: 9-7/8" x 7-1/8"

HOLE CUTOUT

MP-525: 6-1/4" x 9"

DEPTH BEHIND WALL

(Assumes 1/2" drywall )

MP525: 2-1/2"

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Niles is a respected company, and has been for many decades. This particular inwall is a very basic one, though. I've seen it for $85 each.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:

You are a little off base. The best subwoofers are usually from Internet Direct companies. Infact normally subs that are part of combos or at least the ones I have seen are very lacking and low end subs.

What is your budget for a subwoofer? How big is your room? Just for reference the average human ear can hear bass down to about 20 hz but anything below 20 hz can be felt and adds alot to the HT experience. So if your pocket is deep enough look for something with a freq response of something less than 20 hz like maybe 16 - 18.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys!

I'm pretty happy with them. I've heard better, but I've heard much worse. I may look into upgrading way down the road, but right now adding a sub is definitely more important.

I'll start rooting around in the the subwoofer forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts