AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the FH1 camcorder (the video is beautiful), but there is no external mic jack. My friend and I are trying to create a website using the FH1 to record video, our problem is audio. We need something that will record external audio and that has two mic inputs. We want to have one lapel type mic for our voices, and another mic for interviewing people....both of these mics connecting to the same recording device.

So what can I do to achieve this? I was thinking perhaps a digital sound recorder would do the job, but I have not found any with two mic inputs. Although I did find this mic, just not sure if it would work with a digital audio recorder?

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-stereo1.htm

***if this is in the wrong thread I apologize, could not find a specific audio thread for use with camcorders

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
You could have gotten the HD2000A. Anyway, have you considered the H4N?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/18233986

You could have gotten the HD2000A. Anyway, have you considered the H4N?

Thanks for you reply Paulo. I did consider the HD2000A, but I like the traditional design of the FH1. And yes I have actually looked at the H4N in my search for a solution, although I am not sure if it has 2 mic jacks/inputs? And its a bit pricey as well, I'd like to keep it under $200ish if possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like the H4N does have two xlr mic jacks, although its a bit out of my price range. I just want to be able to record from two separate lapel type mics via a budget priced digital audio recorder.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanponders /forum/post/18235566

looks like the H4N does have two xlr mic jacks, although its a bit out of my price range. I just want to be able to record from two separate lapel type mics via a budget priced digital audio recorder.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Buy a cheap mixer and run the two mics into the mixer, adjust the levels and go out to one recorder or direct to pc hard drive via the blue input on the sound card.

Then sync the good audio with the FH1 audio in post in editor and then mute the FH1 audio for final render.

Some mixers and even mics are USB-based.

I'm not sure if you could just go 2 USB mics into a pc and then mix it in the editor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/18235916

Buy a cheap mixer and run the two mics into the mixer, adjust the levels and go out to one recorder or direct to pc hard drive via the blue input on the sound card.

Then sync the good audio with the FH1 audio in post in editor and then mute the FH1 audio for final render.

Some mixers and even mics are USB-based.

I'm not sure if you could just go 2 USB mics into a pc and then mix it in the editor.

Well an important part of the set up is portability, thats why I was thinking a digital audio recorder that I could fit in my pocket and just connect a lapel mic to it would be the best option. But the problem I am having is that all the recorders I have found only allow you to record via 1 external mic, I need to be able to record from 2 external mics.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You should just get two separate recorders. If you want a lapel on one, you could have a wired lapel (cheaper) with the recorder in pocket or wireless.

You take the two separate audio tracks and sync them with the FH1 audio and then mute the FH1 audio before render.

After every time you turn on the camera, say, for example "take 27" (next time "take 28") and then clap your hands together visibly on screen. Use this a sync point and line up the wave forms visually.

If you become familiar with doing this, you won't even need to clap your hands as syncing is not that difficult. You would still need to vocally mark the take and write down the take on a card and film it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts