AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 1270q using a HTPC with a Redeon VE video card (latest drivers). Great picture using winDVD and dscaler for VHS tapes, but the projector only seems happy using 800 x 600 at 60hz refresh. I know it is supposed to do more than that. Any other resolutions or timing combinations seem to cause a shrunken, stretched, contorted, flashing, jumpy, nervous looking picture(have I used enough descriptive words?) What am I missing? Is there a PJ setting that needs adjustment to get the projector to consider other resolutions without getting flaky? It is rock-solid at the 800x600 @60hz setting. I have not found any thread material on this specific problem. Thanx to all.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Sonys are very forgiving in the signals they take, and every time I have put in whatever signal I desire, it just locks right onto it. I would look for a bad signal feed, or you have a very weird problem with the 1270 that I have not run into before.

Curt

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curt, (or whoever is still out there)

Could it be my cable? I am using a standard VGA cable with a 5 BNC breakout that needed female to male gender changers. In addition, these changers are short lengths of BNC cable purchased at Radio shack..(it's all they had). Do I need a video cable or a breakout that has the correct gender to start with? Forgive me if these sound like "no-brainers" but I am new to projectors and I just assumed that a sync issue at least would not result.

Thanx again

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds to me that you have to reconfigure the pj, I've also the 1270 no problems there with different resolutions. You probably have to follow the setup in instruction for a new resolution, then the pj will remember these setting the next time when you use the pj.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1072 x 600 @ 72Hz is a popular 16X9 format for the sony 12xx. You will have to use powerstrip to achieve this and you will have to converge the projector again (as eduardw mentions). The projector recalls registration data from distinct memory blocks depending upon the detected horizontal freq. If reconverging at your new resolution does not fix the problem, then I would look at your cable.

1280 x 720 @ 48Hz is another resolution I plan on experimenting with. The windows desktop will flicker though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx all for the input..

On Curts advice, I looked at my input first.

I switched to a better grade VGA cable, as my 10ft extention was strictly data quality..also picked up vga/bnc with proper gender so no changers now used and presto!...it now accepts all the resolutions my radeon VE will allow.

I think 720 x 480 is proper DVD res. and the Radeon VE will do that. It is not as configurable as some of the other Radeons, so that res will probably work best. Is there a better resolution that my VE is capable of?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
It just goes to show that your picture is only as good as your weakest link, which was the cables..:)

Curt

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 1271 and the same problem. I use PowerDVD in my HTPC with a ATI 8500 graphics card on a Pentium 3, 500 mhz, 512 ram machine, the 8500 can output to two displays. If I output to both displays I get the jerky motion when playing DVD. When I disable my monitor in the ATI menu and only play through the 1271 the DVD looks great. I thought maybe computer was just to slow to handle both. I will try the cable thing and see if thats part of the problem but why would the cable make a differance if it works when only one display is in use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.