AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I live in DC and want to watch Carolina Panthers games on the weekend without having to pay $300 for DirecTV.

My brothers both live in NC and obviouly can watch the games on the weekend with no problems. I'm off on Sundays and would like to be able to either record games and watch them later or directly stream them and watch the live.

I would prefer to directly stream while recording so I can watch live and then possible watch the games later.

I dont know if it helps but I have a spare computer with an intel Core i7 CPU, 4GB of ram, and Windows Vista.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbeatty88
Basically I live in DC and want to watch Carolina Panthers games on the weekend without having to pay $300 for DirecTV.

My brothers both live in NC and obviouly can watch the games on the weekend with no problems. I'm off on Sundays and would like to be able to either record games and watch them later or directly stream them and watch the live.

I would prefer to directly stream while recording so I can watch live and then possible watch the games later.

I dont know if it helps but I have a spare computer with an intel Core i7 CPU, 4GB of ram, and Windows Vista.
Slingbox

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/20824786

Slingbox...

Edit: Not familiar with the Slingbox.

So the OP would set up the Slingbox at his brothers house and stream to his TV?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081
Edit: Not familiar with the Slingbox.

So the OP would set up the Slingbox at his brothers house and stream to his TV?
Yep, hook it to a DVR, Settop box, XBMC etc....

It controls the remote device via IR blasters and will dynamically encode the video stream based on available bandwidth and stream to a remote location. It adjusts as the bandwidth varies. great HW, great software, with electronic guide and local buffering. Its a killer solution and has been for the last 4 years we have had one.

Slingbox at his brothers as the server and sling software on laptop or HTPC or a dedicated sling catcher box or Dish DVR as the client.

Sean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, so I got a slingbox HD.

I will be happy with just being able to stream, but will I also be able to record?

I will be using the core i7 machine I mentioned earlier with 4gb of ram and an hd 4550 gpu.

I also have a few 1tb hdds laying around that I can throw in there.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen /forum/post/20854666

Just to be clear, the slingbox needs to be at your brother's house to stream the games to you.

Yes, I know.

Yeah, I saw the jaksta site when I googled it earlier, but I'm not convinced, I've had bad experiences paying for AV software in the past, the trials are just good enough to convince you and then you realize you wasted $30. I guess I was wondering if there were any free alternatives. Oh well, I'll be happy with just streaming the games on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
So I tried slinger and it works fine.....

mreplay looks way cooler but it didn't work for me.

On firefox the plugin is not compatible with Firefox 6

On IE9 32 bit I got the plugin installed but I can't get it to find my slingbox.

It wont auto detect it nor will it manually connect. I know I have the IP and port correct since it works with slinger app.

who knows maybe the firewall or something. play with it more later.

Sean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I there a reason the component video isn't working? It wasnt working last night, then it was, nothing has changed and now its not working again.

The composite is pretty consistent, and even though I initially did the setup going directly from the coax on the wall to the slingbox to the TV and setup using coax the coax no longer works at all.

Only the composite is consistent. All the cable are the same. The coax goes straight from the wall, to the DVR in. Then all the outs go the the slingbox's inputs. But the composite is the only one that gets audio and video, components gets just audio and coax gets nothing?

Is there anything I can do about this.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbeatty88 /forum/post/20901479

I there a reason the component video isn't working? It wasnt working last night, then it was, nothing has changed and now its not working again.

The composite is pretty consistent, and even though I initially did the setup going directly from the coax on the wall to the slingbox to the TV and setup using coax the coax no longer works at all.

Only the composite is consistent. All the cable are the same. The coax goes straight from the wall, to the DVR in. Then all the outs go the the slingbox's inputs. But the composite is the only one that gets audio and video, components gets just audio and coax gets nothing?

Is there anything I can do about this.

Dunno. my solo has been flawless with the directTV DVR via component. I know some devices for example TIVO wont output composite if HDMI is plugged in etc. That would not explain the intermittent nature. when you select component. what does it say? no video signal detected?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
weird. try googling on your cable box model and sling and see if you find anything.

I would try another set of component cables just for kicks.

Do you notice if it happens on a certain chanell or resolution. Some cable boxes offer an option to set the output resolution fixed versus outputing the mode the content is playing in (480i, 720P, etc). If your cable box allows that you might expirement with the fixed output mode see if that changes the behavior?

So what does sling say?

·
Registered
221 Posts
To the OP, is that like a spare DVR your brother has? Curious because if you use it, you know he can't use it, right? He'll be watching whatever you're watching. Or, if he changes the channel, you'll be watching whatever he's watching.

Anyway, my slingbox is set-up in Cali to my tivo and I'm currently in China. It has been awesome! I was worried because before leaving the US, I had tried slinging at a friends house and the quality sucked. The quality has been superb in China. I guess my friend had really slow internet. It has been simply awesome.. Knock on wood!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsonstack /forum/post/20911214

To the OP, is that like a spare DVR your brother has? Curious because if you use it, you know he can't use it, right? He'll be watching whatever you're watching. Or, if he changes the channel, you'll be watching whatever he's watching.

Anyway, my slingbox is set-up in Cali to my tivo and I'm currently in China. It has been awesome! I was worried because before leaving the US, I had tried slinging at a friends house and the quality sucked. The quality has been superb in China. I guess my friend had really slow internet. It has been simply awesome.. Knock on wood!

I have one setup for a buddy in Korea and it works great. I also have 10M up.

sean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.