AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in-laws are coming in from Portugal and I would like to get them RTP but I am a D* subscriber. Dish offers the channel but it will cost me $79 plus $9.00 a month with a one year commitment. Doesn't sound too bad but I also read that RTPi is transmitting the signal for free and I could pick it up with the right equipment. Can anyone confirm this and point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Search the web for "free to air" and satellite. You will find a lot of info on receiving free programming. I looked into this once and it was not cheap. A couple of hundred dollars for for the receiver and a three foot dish. It may be cheaper to go with Dish.

-Robert

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert,

You are right- Dish may be the way to go. I did a search and it is not cheap, plus I spoke to someone at Skyvision and was informed that RPTi is scrambling their signal and it is no longer free. BTW, he mentioned an 8 foot dish; my wife would love that in the backyard...

Thanks for the reply.

Jake

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Jake, unfortunately it looks like it will cost you more then $9 monthly. Take a look at Dish Networks page on RPTi

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...10021&sortby=1

Quote:
*Available only with America's Top 50 or America's Top 100 CD.
This is one of the rare occasions there is a minimum subscription with Dish.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve,

Figures. I am already a D* subscriber and I would consider switching but not at this time. I guess the rep I spoke with was not informed. Thanks for the heads-up.

Jake

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.