AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The video input connections on my Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD Rear Projection Television are: Component Y/PB/PR (3 RCA connectors), RGB(VGA connector), S-Video, and Composite (RCA Connector).

I've tried to connect my computer's VGA connector to the television's RGB input, but it doen't display anything. However, it will display the VGA output from my Hipix HDTV video capture card, My Sony HDTV DirecTV Receiver, and my ReplayTV.

What is the difference between a PC's VGA connector and the RGB VGA connectors used on HDTV video components?

Do I need a transcoder or scan converter?

Should I replace my VGA card with a DVI output?

Is there a better solution?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The PC VGA should output fine, however it is your resolution settings on your PC that need to be adjusted. Download and install Powerstrip and then search the forum for special Powerstrip settings. You will need to match a resolution that your TV can handle. It is not able to output what you are requesting thus the black screen.

Mike

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
"Should I replace my VGA card with a DVI output? "

Yes, if you HDTV has a DVI input go ahead and do that and you will have a better image. But still get powerstrip and get the right resolution your TV supports.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tonic
"Should I replace my VGA card with a DVI output? "

Yes, if you HDTV has a DVI input go ahead and do that and you will have a better image. But still get powerstrip and get the right resolution your TV supports.
This is not necessarily so, as it depends on your HDTV.

Many, including my Fuji, do not support native resolution, or ANY resolution above 1024. If it receives a higher rez, it scales it down. This is only through the DVI port. RGB works fine.

I don't know about other plasmas, but I think this is the case for any Plasma panel OEM'd by Panasonic and NEC. Not sure about Pioneer.

On my Fuji, I use RGB and have no complaints. Crystal clear text, razor sharp images, every bit as good as the PQ from the HD receiver into the DVI input.

Big, big controversy over this subject in Plasma forum, btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.