Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for a basic question.

I recently finished my home theater and have the following components:

JVC HD-950 projector

142" diagonal 2.35:1 Black Diamond II 1.4 gain screen

Denon 3311 AVR

Sony BDP s-570

Verizon Fios HDTV STB

In my family room I have a new 8000 series Samsung 63" plasma.

Both the Fios STB and Blu-Ray players on each device are connected of by HDMI cables

My PQ with Blu-Rays on both the TV and PJ is awesome. No complaints. Better than a movie theater IMHO.

My problem is, HDTV (1080i or 720p) content looks flawless on my plasma but hit or usually miss on my PJ. Heck, even SD content looks really good on my plasma and expectedly sucks on my PJ. The theater room with the PJ is completely dark with what I would consider high end components. The PJ was calibrated and even has a THX mode. Again, Blu-rays look stunning on the PJ but NFL football for example, looks average.

I realize a lot depends on content and source. I just want the best possible PQ with HDTV especially for sports so that when we have a watching party on our PJ it looks stunning like Blu-rays already do.

Knowing what I have, do you guys have any suggestions as to what else I can do or add to improve PQ? My understanding is the Denon receiver has a scaler. I am just not sure what else I can try to improve the PQ. I don't care about SD content. Just want to improve the PQ for HD content (ideally to match how sports look on my plasma)

Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Why do you think the projector looks sub par?

Is it a resolution thing? Is it a color issue?

Do you have any calibration discs? Looking at a resolution pattern could help you determine how sharp the projector is with it's current settings.

If the calibration that was done on the projector is absolutely optimal, and treated all aspects (mechanical alignment, grayscale, CMS, signal chain, ect...) Then their really isn't much left.

Also you may want to try to do some basic calibration on the Plasma, sometimes just the difference between an uncalibrated display and a calibrated display can be jarring.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@sotti - I guess it is a resolution thing. When I watch 1080i content NFL on my plasma it looks "high def". When I watch the same game on my projector it doesn't look as crisp and detailed. What baffles me is that my Blu-Rays look just as good on my PJ as my plasma. I checked my FioS set top box settings and everything seems to be ok. When I watch HDNet which on my PJ it is very good so I guess some of it content. Where I live CBS and NBC NFL is broadcast in 1080i and looks good but FOX NFL is 720p and looks like crap on my PJ but everything looks great on my plasma. Maybe is just blowing up a 720p pic on a 144" screen. I was just hoping for better I suppose.

BTW - Here are some pics of my set up

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...member=drjay71

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Find a good disc with resolution patterns and make sure your projector is passing good resolution.

Then the other thing would be to check and make sure your FIOS box is setup to pass 1080i

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Don't overlook that some displays/projectors just have a preference for a certain resolution. (probably a weakness in their video processor). So you do want to try changing the output resolution of the 720p channel to see if your projector prefers one over another.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
great looking HT room.

Are you using an external video processor? If not a good one could help reduce some of the noise, but for the most part on that size screen lower res content is going to look a lot less perfect that full HD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.