AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a plasma owner (and projector) and was looking to upgrade after xmas.

I went into a local store and noticed lcd next to the plasma screen.

I have always generally preferred plasma at least when i purchased one 2 and half years ago.

However I was looking at a samsung plasma next to a led lcd.

The only lcd plasma comparison i could view was the samsung plasma side by side with samsung led lcd with the same content.

My first reaction of course was i am in a store, not a good place to compare. They could have different gamma, brightness, ect..

However i tried to judge it keeping this in mind, and was very dissappointed.

I dont know if its samsung related but the samsung plasma looked extremely dim next to the lcd. Of course the lcd could have been in torch mode, but it did not look like it. The lcd skin tones looked fine.

What i was noticing was the samsung plasma looked unnaturally dim, and did not have that crystal clear appearance. Maybe samsung plasmas are also not good with reflections?

I went to look at a v25 and was much more impressed but the set was off in the corner by itself, and i could not compare it to the lcd, it was also airing different content.

The store itself had the tv's at the back, and the lights dimmed in that area so store lighting was not abnormally bright.

Are samsung plasma's that dim, is this a samsung plasma feature? Have lcd come that far in the last 2 years? Samsung not only looked nice and bright, but also crystal clear with no perceivable oversaturated skin tones. I really love the clear aspect of it. Pioneer kuro panels were the first sets I seen with that crystal clearness but the led lcd looked to have even surpassed it in that aspect.

And how can I ever make fair comparisons and decide on one when their are so many variables in stores?

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
This is why LCD sales are higher than plasma sales -- they look better under the bright lighting of a store. At home, however, it's another matter. All that matters is what you like.

·
Banned
568 Posts
3 months ago I bought a '08 Pioneer KRP 500M, and prior to that I was an LCD owner since late '07. ...When I finally saw the Pioneer I thought "OMFG this is stupidly dim, I can't see jack"

So yes, LCD is always brighter than Plasma due to technology differences. ...And with respect to the Samsung model you inspected at the store, my guess is that you experienced the exact same 'omfg moment' that I described above

...Therefore, avoid comparing LCD to Plasma, because they're too different from eachother. The bottom line is this: if the TV has acceptable black levels [for you], with good colors and a sharp non-fuzzy picture, then there's not much else to worry about except price.

Unfortunately it's very hard determine blacks/colors/sharps in a store, because of time constraints, environmental lighting, and just appearing crazy when you walk into the store with your PS3 and a calibration disk... But do what you have to do, to ensure that you're spending your money wisely.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/19627989

This is why LCD sales are higher than plasma sales -- they look better under the bright lighting of a store. At home, however, it's another matter. All that matters is what you like.

As mentioned the store area in the back was dimmed in that area, and not very bright. I did mention that above.

Not only that but the vt25 did not look that dim.

Are the samsung plasma's that dim and bad at reflections?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/19632509

Can anyone answer this with regards to samsung plasmas, i hope this is just a feature of samsung plasmas.

Samsung makes a lot of different models of plasma with varying levels of picture quality and glare resistance. What was the model number or series of the one you looked at?

Samsung Plasmas are more than bright enough for a home environment - they're not dim at all and nobody runs them at full screen brightness at home.

Did you go into the menus and adjust the picture settings? Or did you just judge it by whatever settings the store unit was set to?

Which LED LCD were you comparing it to?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have been comparing the UN55C6500 vs PN58C6400

They would not let me tweak it, but it did not look like something that could be improved much.

Blacks were not crushed anyway and it was just way dimmer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I jumped from a UN55C6300 to a PN58C8000, and I can tell you the difference is very noticeable at home. As mentioned before, under normal viewing the brightness of a Plasma is just fine. Blacks are much blacker and the picture is more detailed. No clouding or flashlighting from the Plasma, overall it is just better.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/19627794

I am a plasma owner (and projector).

and was looking to upgrade after xmas.

I went into a local store and noticed lcd next to the plasma screen.

I have always generally preferred plasma at least when i purchased one 2 and half years ago.

However I was looking at a samsung plasma next to a led lcd.

The only lcd plasma comparison i could view was the samsung plasma side by side with samsung led lcd with the same content.

My first reaction of course was i am in a store, not a good place to compare. They could have different gamma, brightness, ect..

However i tried to judge it keeping this in mind, and was very dissappointed.

I dont know if its samsung related but the samsung plasma looked extremely dim next to the lcd. Of course the lcd could have been in torch mode, but it did not look like it. The lcd skin tones looked fine.

What i was noticing was the samsung plasma looked unnaturally dim, and did not have that crystal clear appearance. Maybe samsung plasmas are also not good with reflections?

I went to look at a v25 and was much more impressed but the set was off in the corner by itself, and i could not compare it to the lcd, it was also airing different content.

The store itself had the tv's at the back, and the lights dimmed in that area so store lighting was not abnormally bright.

Are samsung plasma's that dim, is this a samsung plasma feature? Have lcd come that far in the last 2 years? Samsung not only looked nice and bright, but also crystal clear with no perceivable oversaturated skin tones. I really love the clear aspect of it. Pioneer kuro panels were the first sets I seen with that crystal clearness but the led lcd looked to have even surpassed it in that aspect.

And how can I ever make fair comparisons and decide on one when their are so many variables in stores?[/QUOTE If you want to cut thru all the clutter and many novices personal opionions, and that includes my self, go to the chadb tv review rankings. He calibrates tvs for a living and he will give you in-depth analysis of many tvs from a professionals point of view along with no bias toward one brand or another. After reading many peoples opionions the last 5 years his information is the best on avs forum for most people, especially if your new to figuring what tv is the best. Sorry for the poor spelling.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow /forum/post/19628372

3 months ago I bought a '08 Pioneer KRP 500M, and prior to that I was an LCD owner since late '07. ...When I finally saw the Pioneer I thought "OMFG this is stupidly dim, I can't see jack"

So yes, LCD is always brighter than Plasma due to technology differences. ...And with respect to the Samsung model you inspected at the store, my guess is that you experienced the exact same 'omfg moment' that I described above

...Therefore, avoid comparing LCD to Plasma, because they're too different from eachother. The bottom line is this: if the TV has acceptable black levels [for you], with good colors and a sharp non-fuzzy picture, then there's not much else to worry about except price.

Unfortunately it's very hard determine blacks/colors/sharps in a store, because of time constraints, environmental lighting, and just appearing crazy when you walk into the store with your PS3 and a calibration disk... But do what you have to do, to ensure that you're spending your money wisely.

How a tv handles motion is pretty important...ever watched a football game on an LCD set?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if the samsung was in standard mode. Cleavland plasma review mentions that the samsung 2010 model in standard mode put out a weak 19ftl. But that other modes put out more light.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/19634036

I would have been comparing the UN55C6500 vs PN58C6400

They would not let me tweak it, but it did not look like something that could be improved much.

Blacks were not crushed anyway and it was just way dimmer.

If they won't give you the remote to make any adjustments then tell them to take a hike and you'll do business elsewhere. Would you buy a car from a dealer without taking it for a test spin? I would and have not ever bought a TV without making adjustments on the sets I'm interested in.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/19635835

How a tv handles motion is pretty important...ever watched a football game on an LCD set?

Live recorded(sport included) and live TV often looks very good on a decent LCd TV motion included....ever watched a football game on a decent LCd?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts