AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have an old Spectra 5" Black and White portable TV which does not work because it is analog. I understand that it can be fixed with a DTV converter box, but I have no clue how to hook it up since it does not have a normal cable "port", but rather, a port the size of a headphone jack with this little thing that has two screws on it. It worked very well prior to the switch-over and I want it to return to it's former glory. What I would really like is to send it somewhere to somebody who can fix up the wiring to convert it to digital, but that's unlikely and if somebody could do it, it would likely be expensive. So here's what I need answered:

What do I need?

Is there a way to make this completely portable again (ie, a battery powered converter box?)

How much will it cost for all this?

Can I really send it off to somebody? If so, who?

Top: Back of the TV

Middle: External Antenna Connector

Bottom: Front (Sorry its so small, perhaps look up Spectra Portable TV 5"?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
the adapter allows you to hook up an external antenna. That one you posted you would need a 75ohm to 300ohm adapter. Radio Shack sells them along with really any store that has video products (Wal-Mart, Target, Lowes, Menards, etc)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062049

Another option is Radio Shack has a coax to 1/8" plug adapter so all you would have to do is hook a coax from the converter box to the adapter
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103466&retainProdsInSession=1&numProdsPerPage=60&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032231

As to making the converter box battery powered? Thats for someone else to figure out

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hopefully it will tune to channel 3 or 4 OK with that mechanical tuner. Before you go too far try it out [with an adapter/post #2] with whatever you have on hand (any source that has a ch 3/4 coax output although a converter box would be preferred). That ol' TV may not be immune to digital noise generated by modern electronics (i.e. a converter box) so you may have to locate the source several feet away to eliminate a noisy picture.

Keep in mind you'll need an antenna for the converter box. The only thing you can use that TV's monopole VHF antenna for is to hold a clip-on UHF loop antenna.

I remember back in the day there was a converter box sold with an optional external battery pack. Nonetheless it can be done with any converter box that will accept an external DC source; pretty much has to be a wall-wart model. Just have to buy or build a battery pack that matches the box's requirement. Also nice to use one of the less power hungry converter boxes.

I have a similar setup for my van/camping but it's a small LCD that I'm fortunate has composite and stereo inputs. I use an Artec converter box since it runs off of 12 VDC, so I plug them into a cig lighter socket. It's a clusterfk of cables though.

Does this TV have a battery compartment? If so I would measure if 12 VDC is present on that wall-wart input with batteries installed. Then you could use that to feed over to a 12 VDC converter box.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Powering the converter box can be done any number of ways as long as you get the polarity/voltage correct just have to find a power cord that will fir the particular converter.... during hurricane sandy I powered one with a car starter/battery/compressor [basically a spare 12v battery] I keep charged up in case the battery croaks in my car, then fed the a/v composite signal to an old laptop that had A/V inputs as well as an analog tuner -now useless of course- [also powered by the spare battery] ... would take it to work and charged it daily so I was able to watch basic OTA news while out of power for 4 days in manhattan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts