AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old vizio, I exclusively used madVR+mpc-hc on my pc to playback 4k UHD rips. The few times I tried playing the same files via the usb drive, the picture quality looked slightly better, but it was negated by the terrible media player UI. So I used madvr instead, and was satisfied.

I recently bought a new tv (sony x900h) which has a vastly superior UI to the vizio. I find that playing back 4k hdr remuxes via my external usb 3.0 hdd and the native media player app looks fantastic and far better than what I've seen in madvr with this tv. Same goes for plex (which even allows for dolby vision).
My main gripe with madvr/mpc-hc is the motion processing. It adds a tremendous amount of stutter and weird artefacts. For example, in the opening scene of Ready Player One, it looks like the scaffolding in the distance is "vibrating". Overall, the entire video looks like its sort of stuttering. At the start it stutters heavily and the video freezes a lot, but it smooths itself out over ~10s. But even then, it looks nothing as smooth as what I see on my TV apps. Note: I am using the same TV picture mode/settings for the PC and TV apps.

However, due to some awful arc/eARC issues on the TV, I'd much prefer to play via my PC than the TV apps so I can retain lossless audio.

1) How can I make madvr/mpc play 4k remuxes smoother? I'm not sure how to screenshot the madvr settings (ctrl+J overlay) as screenshots in mpc exclude it.
2) I want to keep madvr enabled, but only use it for passing HDR to the TV (or perhaps use its own tone mapping system) and avoid any other enhancements. How can I do this?
3) Does madvr offer any benefits If Im already dealing with lossless 4k UHD remuxes? I imagine if it does, its very minor.

My hardware:
-PC: GTX1070, 16gb RAM, Ryzen 3600 CPU
connected via HDMI to
-Yamaha RX-V585 AVR
which is connected via HDMI to
-Sony X900H arc port (HDMI3)

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know what you mean, I have a X900F and with MadVR + MPC-BE the motion in movies can have insane judder / stuttering. It's extremely (as in ridiculously) bad in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where some of the shots of the space ships/shuttles seem to have been mastered in less than 24 fps.

The best way I've found to combat this while watching a movie is to set the TV's visual preset to 'Cinema Home' instead of Game/Graphics. This fixes most of the weirdness but the motion is still only about 90% as good as watching the same MKV rip on a Roku Ultra, which seems to have even better motion handling than MadVR with Smooth Motion enabled. Have you tried Smooth Motion btw? I can't tell if it does anything at all.

Overall I'm a little disappointed in MadVR + Nvidia decoders at this point in time, because while motion is fairly good with the TV in Cinema Home, it's not quite as good to my eyes as a Roku Ultra even though my PC has an order of magnitude more processing power available. Still I'm glad MadVR exists, but anymore if I really want the absolute best experience I find myself using a Roku instead.

Edit: forgot to mention, you might want to try letting MadVR set your display to use 2160p24 while playing full screen, it seemed to help me a little bit too but I'm not sure if it was just placebo or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts