AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubishi HD5 D* Sat receiver and a ReplayTV 5040.


I want to record an HDTV program using my Replay (I know it will only record 480i) but the ReplayTV guide lists NBC as channel 8 and the HDTV channel is 8-1. Is there a way to make the replay tune to 8-1 instead of 8?


For now I just leave the correct channel on the D* receiver and unplug the IR blaster.


In case anyone was wondering the show look like DVD quality when I replay them out the component outputs of my Replaytv.


This will have to work till Replay makes an HD DVR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Replay can't tune OTA HD channels. It *can* tune assigned HD channels in a cable or satellite guide, though.


(For example, HD-41 is channel 162 on my cable system lineup).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,316 Posts
If there was a way to tell the receiver to ignore PSIP and tune directly to the UHF (most HDs are UHF), it could work. But I don't know what boxes can be told to ignore PSIP (what makes x-1 from ch xx).


You may want to post in the HD Hardware forum, where there's a ton of HD box discussions! (Then come back here and tell us! :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
Replay can't tune OTA HD channels. It *can* tune assigned HD channels in a cable or satellite guide, though.


(For example, HD-41 is channel 162 on my cable system lineup).
My HD OTA is being tuned via the HD5 Sat receiver. If I could somehow tell my OTA HD receiver to tune 8-1 when the replay IR blaster sends "8" to the Sat receiver.



How do you assign HD channels in the satellite guide?

I know the Mitsu HD5 is identical to a e86 if that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
I know of 2 work-arounds:


1) Set the Replay to record the NTSC channel, and pad it a 2 or 3 minutes at the beginning. Set the STB timer to switch it to the ATSC channel at the actual start time.


or


2) Do a manual record using the actual channel number (e.g., 52 instead of 2, 24 instead of 7, etc.) This will only work if your receiver will default to the subchannel you want.


The benefit of the first is that you get the guide info with the recording, but you don't get the ease of use intended for the Replay. The benefit of the second, assuming it works with your STB is that the Replay takes care of all the channel changing (but you don't get the guide info).


It's a pain, but it's worth it to get a very high quality picture and 16:9 A/R.


Oh, and don't forget to make sure that the output is set to 480i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil
I know of 2 work-arounds:


1) Set the Replay to record the NTSC channel, and pad it a 2 or 3 minutes at the beginning. Set the STB timer to switch it to the ATSC channel at the actual start time.


or


2) Do a manual record using the actual channel number (e.g., 52 instead of 2, 24 instead of 7, etc.) This will only work if your receiver will default to the subchannel you want.


The benefit of the first is that you get the guide info with the recording, but you don't get the ease of use intended for the Replay. The benefit of the second, assuming it works with your STB is that the Replay takes care of all the channel changing (but you don't get the guide info).


It's a pain, but it's worth it to get a very high quality picture and 16:9 A/R.


Oh, and don't forget to make sure that the output is set to 480i.
It's a pain, but it's the only way we know to do it....

There ain't no simple solution. A couple of us were discussing creating a part for the serial contol to filter selected channels and send out sub channels, but we ran into a problem sub channels aren't selectable via the serial interface!!! ARRRRGH.


I'm heading toward a HTPC for HDTV recording.


BTW on most reciever you can't just tune the UHF cannel, for example in the bay area tuning 29 won't get you 29.1 which won't get you 5.1. And '.' and '-' are both delimiters for sub channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK sounds good. These ideas will work until something better comes along.


Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
BTW on most reciever you can't just tune the UHF cannel, for example in the bay area tuning 29 won't get you 29.1 which won't get you 5.1. And '.' and '-' are both delimiters for sub channels.
That's why I was wondering if any STBs could be set to ignore the PSIP encoding. Would do it, but I assume they want to 'hide' the translation from the 'stupid' user.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
BTW on most reciever you can't just tune the UHF cannel, for example in the bay area tuning 29 won't get you 29.1 which won't get you 5.1. And '.' and '-' are both delimiters for sub channels.
My Panasonic STBs will default to the first subchannel if you leave off the subchannel info (so long as there isn't an NTSC signal on that channel). So when I put in "29," I do get 5.1. But my RCA won't do this. Not sure about others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
acourvil,


What model Panasonic HDTV receiver do you have? Also, does your replay control it via IR blaster? If so, what code are you using. Finally, does it output 480i and hi-def simultaneously?


I am asking all these questions because I am seriously considering purchasing a HDTV receiver and would really like to one that is "Replay friendly".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MethodMachine
acourvil,


What model Panasonic HDTV receiver do you have? Also, does your replay control it via IR blaster? If so, what code are you using. Finally, does it output 480i and hi-def simultaneously?
Samsung models do the concurrent output, the newer sony hd-300 an som of the pthers are finally starting to do this.


IR blaster works, just not for any sub channel.



acourvil, my proscan hd-105 (sister to your dtc-100) and my sony hd-100 can't deal without sub channels.... =(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
The Zenith HD-SAT520 will switch to the HD channel if there is no corresponding NTSC channel active in the channel guide. If, for example, you wanted to record 7-1, you would need to remove 7 (NTSC OTA) and 7 (NTSC cable) from the active channels in the channel guide.


Of course, you'd have to be sure that the Replay was set for correct program information (probably corresponding to 7 NTSC OTA) to get proper metadata and recording times and durations.


And be sure that the output was set for 480i/composite or s-video.


And set the aspect ratio for anamorphic.


Alternatively, buy a Zenith HDR230 as an interim measure while Replay gets its HD act together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MethodMachine
acourvil,


What model Panasonic HDTV receiver do you have? Also, does your replay control it via IR blaster? If so, what code are you using. Finally, does it output 480i and hi-def simultaneously?


I am asking all these questions because I am seriously considering purchasing a HDTV receiver and would really like to one that is "Replay friendly".
As Jeff said also, the Samsungs work great for this. I set mine up through the RTV about a month ago and haven't had any problems. PQ is awesome compared to the digital cable (on HD shows) even when I'm not using the component out of the RTV. I kept the RF cable input and set the s-vid from the Samsung as analog cable from a different provider, turned all non-OTA channels off, and channel mapping allows all my network records to work painlessly. My only issue has been my NBC signal to my antenna, so now NBC shows are recorded off cable. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MethodMachine
acourvil,


What model Panasonic HDTV receiver do you have? Also, does your replay control it via IR blaster? If so, what code are you using. Finally, does it output 480i and hi-def simultaneously?


I am asking all these questions because I am seriously considering purchasing a HDTV receiver and would really like to one that is "Replay friendly".
TUHDS20 via IR blaster. Not sure about the code; I'll try to remember to check it later. I did do some tweaking of one of the listed codes in order to get it to be reliable. It does not do HD and SD simultaneously; I have one receiver I use for watching HD live, and separate receivers set up for the Replays.


The TUHDS20 is a finicky beast. I wouldn't really recommend it for a purchase now, unless you get one cheap. It has great PQ, and is still the only unit that does true native output, but it is under powered and somewhat buggy. The guide may well be the slowest available, even after they did some things after the fact to speed it up. Of my 3 receivers, I paid full price for one ~ 3 years ago, and got the others as cheap clearance items.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
acourvil, my proscan hd-105 (sister to your dtc-100) and my sony hd-100 can't deal without sub channels.... =(
Very close sisters, since mine is actually a proscan, too. : )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
On a DTC-100 or PSHD-105, you can tune HD subchannels via IR by using 4+ digit codes. 0 + 2 digit channel + n digit(s) subchannel:


0081 = 8-1, 0305 = 30-5, 02912 = 29-12, and so on..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have a PV-HS2000 and recently purchased a SIR-TS160 Samsung HDTV receiver. Are there IR blaster codes that work from the RTV?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top