AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done auto setup, done manual setup with an SPL, toed in and out, and no matter what, I always think the left and right sounds are coming straight from the speakers as opposed to someplace in the field around the screen. My speakers are small JBLs and are nine feet apart. Any tips, or is this mainly a function of the speakers themselves? Will messing with my distance settings or toe-in help? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They may just have bad imaging. What are the models?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
There are several things to "mess" with in order to get the speakers to vanish and leave just proper soundstage:

These are all interelated. Inextricably comingled so to speak.

1) Speaker response - off axis is important

2) Speaker position - in the room as well as tilt and toe

3) Listener position

4) Acoustic treatment

5) Channel calibration

Sometimes one or more of these elements will seriously stack the deck against you. Failing that, you should be able to create a decent sound stage.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto /forum/post/15445052

I've done auto setup, done manual setup with an SPL, toed in and out, and no matter what, I always think the left and right sounds are coming straight from the speakers as opposed to someplace in the field around the screen. My speakers are small JBLs and are nine feet apart. Any tips, or is this mainly a function of the speakers themselves? Will messing with my distance settings or toe-in help? Thanks.

kurto

2 quick questions

a. which model JBL?

b. what type of music are you listening to to make this observation?

I found some recordings will always sound like they are coming from the speakers due to their recording/studio mix.

I think Jamin nailed the possible contributors, especially room treatment if your speakers are near a reflection surface...a major detriment to imaging and speaker transparency.

Small speakers (eg bookshelves) usually excell at disappearing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.