AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using my pc as my music repository. I have a roku xd connected to my stereo. I'd like to be able to push my music from my pc and listen to it on the stereo.

I've seen this done with a Mac and an Air Express.

Problem is I can't seem to control the roku from my pc, I currently need to use the roku remote to scroll thru various channels and my music collection before I can play a tune. Obviously this is difficult without a connected tv. I don't want to add a tv to the set-up as the stereo is in a tv free zone ( my living room...the tv resides elsewhere in my house).

My music collection is currently in iTunes, but I'm not wedded to that, I am willing to change my music media player if need be.

I tried to use Chaneru to access iTunes from my roku ( which worked as long as I had a tv to follow the menus etc).

Has anyone else had this issue, and were you able to resolve it?

kootenaygary

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
2 things come to mind but I don't use it this way myself although you should be able to get it to work.

First off is PLEX. With PLEX there is a way get your itunes library integrated I believe. If you have a smartphone or tablet you'll be able to access your library with that and then play to the Roku your selected track. You will need PLEX media server on the PC (free) PLEX channel on the ROKU(also free) and the PLEX Android or iOS app (costs 5 bucks).

http://plexapp.com/

The other option is Twonky Beam. Free app on Android and probably iOS. Install the Twonky Channel on the ROKU which is also free and then you can do a couple of things. You can BEAM videos from a smart phone or tablet to the ROKU, or just the audio of the videos I suppose, so music from Youtube or Vevo, and you can access your shared files from your PC (which would mean that you would need to probably import and convert your itunes library to your PC)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pv.twonkybeam&hl=en

PLEX may be a little bit more involved but well worth it especially if you have other ROKU's and any video files that you want to play from or on your PC with the PLEX client. It automagically pulls cover art, fanart, and movie info. It will keep track of your watched and unwatched videos, and start you off where you left off on a particular video. You'll also be able to access your library remotely outside of your network, via wifi or 3G/4G. Then there's the plug ins, lots of options there as well.

BEAM is real easy, once you set it up it is very intuitive and you can easily play whatever on your local device (your smartphone or tablet) or you can beam it to the roku. What's nice is so long as you have the files shared on your network there is no need for a server on your PC from twonky (actually, the beam app also sees my PLEX server and I can play stuff from there as well).

Both apps should allow for control of the device, or you can open the ROKU app to control. If you don't have smartphone or tablet, a cheap android tablet should suffice.

Food for thought, hope it helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Oman,

Thanks for the response!

I'll have to check out your suggested apps and see how it goes.

Might use the plex solution as the TV may end up with it's own roku. This stuff is worse than peanuts, once you start you can't stop.

Gary

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaygary  /t/1466648/how-can-I-push-music-from-my-pc-thru-my-roku-xd-to-my-stereo#post_23166116

This stuf is worse than peanuts, once you start you can't stop.

Gary

Oh yeah , that is the truth. Good thing is the support you'll find from the folks here.

I think you'll enjoy PLEX. Once you work thru that Twonky will be easy, and fun to get YouTube in particular on the ROKU. PLEX has a plugin for it but it's so easy to que up from a smart phone or tablet.

Anyhow, good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts