AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone figured out a way to record music from those digital music channels? the other question is how can I separate every stream into individual songs?Can this be done automated?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well, I can think of a lot of ways to do this. Certainly, you could use the analog putputs from your cable box to record to an MD or CD recorder or directly into your PC if your sound card has analog inputs. If your cable box has a digital audio output, you may be able to use that connection instead (assuming the box doesn't employ copy protection on the digital ouput).

As for separating the streams into separate songe, the ability would depend on the format you record to. I'm pretty sure I've seen the ability for an MD recorder to recognize silences in between songs and utilize those to automatically separate into different tracks. There may be a similar way to do this via a CD recorder or via software on your PC if you were using it as the recorder.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If there are breaks between the songs, Musicmatch does a very good job of separating each song to its own mp3 track. As far as how to record the stream, my preferred method is with adigital connection if you have one. I used my PS2 to a Hercules Game Theater over toslink to record all the radio stations in GTA-Vice City and made very good quality recordings of each, you cant tell the difference from the retail CDs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Have a new Dell XPS. What software is required to record music from my digital cable box to my PC and which input do you suggest I use. My digital cable box has regular left & right RCA as well as a digital audio out that looks like an RCA jack.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgbyhkr
If your cable box has a digital audio output, you may be able to use that connection instead (assuming the box doesn't employ copy protection on the digital ouput).
My cable box has a digital audio out (for coaxial cable). I gather that I would need a sound card with a digital audio input for my computer. Can you suggest such a card?

Thank you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisintx
Have anyone figured out a way to record music from those digital music channels?
I have. My cable box has a coaxial digital audio output (in addition to analog outputs which are connected to my TV). I needed a sound card for my PC with a coaxial digital in and I got one -- Sound Blaster Extigy.

The music comes out of the analog outputs and the digital output at the same time.

In the Extigy there is a program called "Creative Wave Studio." With it I can record the stream as a WAV file. But there is no way (that I have figured out yet) of separating the stream into individual songs. I was hoping that MusicMatch might allow that, but I don't know if it does yet.

Anyone can help with this?

Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.